New York University Center for Data Science
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The NYU Center for Data Science (CDS) is a degree-granting graduate institute and research center at New York University. It was established in 2013 by computer scientist Yann LeCun. CDS offers a M.S. in Data Science and, as of 2017, it was one of the first universities in the U.S. to offer a Ph.D. in Data Science.
|New York University|
History and backgroundEdit
In 2011, New York University launched a university-wide initiative in Data Science and Statistics under the leadership of Gerard Ben Arous, who was the director of the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and NYU's Vice Provost for Science and Engineering at the time. Yann LeCun was invited to chair the working group, and they eventually recommended the creation of a multidisciplinary data science center in response to the growing demand for data scientists in academia, industry, and government. CDS was publicly announced in 2013, with Yann LeCun as its founding director.
Today, CDS is the focal point for all data science research initiatives at the university. The center is highly interdisciplinary, and collaborates with several departments and schools across the university.
The Center has been engaged in a range of research projects across several fields in the humanities and the sciences.
It is also part of the Moore-Sloan Data Science Environment, a five-year $37.8 million cross-institutional partnership with Berkeley Institute for Data Science and the University of Washington that aims to advance data-intensive scientific discovery. C .
The center also holds multiple speaker series throughout the year, like the Text-as-Data & NLP seminars, Math and Data seminars, and the Moore-Sloan Research Lunch seminars.
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "Yann LeCun Appointed Director of NYU Center for Data Science - NYU Center for Data Science". NYU Center for Data Science. 2013-02-18. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "New Breed of Super Quants at NYU Prep for Wall Street". Bloomberg.com. 2017-08-22. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Our People - NYU Center for Data Science". NYU Center for Data Science. Retrieved 2017-08-24.
- Science, NYU Center for Data (2017-09-01). "Dr. Julia Kempe appointed director of the NYU center for data science". Medium. Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- "publications:cds-manifesto | CILVR Lab @ NYU". cilvr.cs.nyu.edu. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Research Projects - NYU Center for Data Science". NYU Center for Data Science. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "About". MSDSE. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Moore-Sloan Data Science Environment at NYU - NYU Center for Data Science". NYU Center for Data Science. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Faculty - NYU Center for Data Science". NYU Center for Data Science. Retrieved 2017-10-04.