New York Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Film Festival
NewFest: The New York Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Film Festival put on by The New Festival, Inc., is one of the most comprehensive forums of national and international LGBT film/video in the world.
As a partner in the first national LGBTQ media arts organization, NewFest hopes to expand its goals all over the country. NewFest strives to encourage and foster environments for LGBTQ and allied filmmakers and viewers to represent the diversity and complexity of voices in the LGBTQ community, and to amplify those voices across the nation.
List of EventsEdit
The largest and most popular program from the New Festival is the week long NewFest LGBT film festival. Additionally, year-round events include: NewFest@BAM an annual "Best of NewFest" showcase at the landmark Brooklyn Academy of Music's Rose Cinemas; NewDraft, a screenplay reading and competition; and the Logo Lounge, which provides a space for viewers, producers, screenplays, and filmmakers can mingle and network during the film festival.
Grand Jury Award WinnersEdit
- 2018: Jules of Light and Dark, Retablo, and Sidney & Friends
- 2017: The Feels, The City of the Future, and Alabama Bound
- 2011: Circumstance and Gone
- 2010: The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls
- 2009: Light Gradient and Prodigal Sons
- 2008: The Lost Coast, The Amazing Truth About Queen Raquela, and Be Like Others
- 2007: Times Have Been Better and Saving Marriage
- 2006: The Gymnast, Go West, and Camp Out
- 2005: A Year Without Love and Little Man
- 2004: You I Love and Garden
- 2003: Between Two Women, I Exist, and The Gift
- 2002: The Ignorant Fairies and Out in the Cold
- 2001: O Fantasma and Bombay Eunuch
- 2000: Water Drops on Burning Rocks and Our House: A Very Real Documentary About Kids of Gay & Lesbian Parents
Audience Award WinnersEdit
- 2018: Rafiki and Man Made
- 2017: A Date for Mad Mary and Hot to Trot
- 2016: Suicide Kale and Political Animals
- 2015: Those People and The Same Difference
- 2014: The Way He Looks
- 2013: Free Fall, Out in the Dark and Valentine Road
- 2012: My Best Day and Love Free or Die
- 2011: The Wise Kids, Turtle Hill, Brooklyn, and One Night Stand
- 2010: Children of God
- 2009: Mississippi Damned and Florent: Queen of the Meat Market
- 2008: Pageant
- 2007: Out at the Wedding
- 2006: Cruel and Unusual
- 2005: Left Lane: On the Road with Folk Poet Alix Olson
- 2004: Girl Play
- 2003: Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin
- 2002: Ruthie and Connie: Every Room in the House
- 2001: The Iron Ladies
- "NewFest". Outfest. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "NewFest: The New York LGBT Film Festival New York City.com : Profile". NYC.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "NewFest at The Center".