New Found Power
New Found Power (2004) is the only studio album released by heavy metal supergroup Damageplan, formed by brothers Darrell "Dimebag Darrell" Abbott (guitar) and Vincent "Vinnie Paul" Abbott (drums) after the breakup of their previous band Pantera.
|New Found Power|
|Studio album by|
|Released||February 10, 2004|
|Recorded||August 20, 2003 – January 5, 2004 in Dallas, Texas|
|Producer||Vinnie Paul and Dimebag Darrell; co-produced by Sterling Winfield and Patrick Lachman|
The album was recorded at the Abbott brothers' backyard studio, Chasin' Jason in Arlington, Texas, where previous Pantera albums had been recorded. It also features guest appearances from vocalist Corey Taylor and guitarists Jerry Cantrell and Zakk Wylde, who had previously made live guest appearances with Pantera, as well as being close friends with all band members.
The single "Save Me" debuted on American radio on January 26, 2004. "Breathing New Life" served as the album's music video debut and aired frequently on both Headbangers Ball and Uranium in early 2004. This was followed by videos for "Save Me" and "Explode."
Many of the lyrical themes on New Found Power seem to deal with the breakup of Pantera, of which "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott were founding members of along with Rex Brown.
New Found Power is guitarist Dimebag Darrell's last studio appearance prior to his murder in December 2004. Following the death of Darrell Abbott during a Damageplan concert, there has been speculation about a follow up to the album. In 2006 when Vinnie Paul was asked about the follow up in an interview, he replied "it will happen when the time is right. I want to stay focused where I am now." At the time, he was busy promoting his new band Hellyeah and their self-titled debut album. He also mentioned "I think the fans would want to hear it, so yes I'd say within 10 years."
New Found Power received mixed reviews from music critics; Christine Klunk of PopMatters commented "I'm not in the least bit interested in where this band goes or what new and exciting ways they'll think of to abuse the listeners." However, Allmusic's Johnny Loftus considered the album a "blazing new beginning".
|2.||"Breathing New Life"||3:49|
|3.||"New Found Power"||3:25|
|5.||"Fuck You" (featuring Corey Taylor)||3:09|
|6.||"Reborn" (featuring Zakk Wylde)||4:02|
|11.||"Blink of an Eye"||4:19|
|12.||"Blunt Force Trauma"||4:57|
|13.||"Moment of Truth"||6:51|
|14.||"Soul Bleed" (featuring Zakk Wylde)||5:13|
|15.||"Ashes to Ashes" (featuring Jerry Cantrell; also available on The Punisher: The Album)||5:06|
Credits adapted from liner notes, except where noted.
- Guest musicians
- Corey Taylor - 2nd verse, breakdown, and last chorus on "Fuck You"
- Zakk Wylde - 2nd guitar solo on "Reborn" and answer vocals on "Soul Bleed"
- Jerry Cantrell - vocals on "Ashes to Ashes" (uncredited on New Found Power, credited on The Punisher release)
- Produced by Vinnie Paul & Dimebag Darrell
- Co-produced by Sterling Winfield & Pat Lachman
- Mastered at Masterdisk Studios by Howie Weinberg & Roger Lian
- String arrangement on "Soul Bleed" by Johnny Marshall
- "Soul Bleed" mixed by Sterling Winfield
- Additional sequencing and production on "Pride" by Rae Nimeh
- All other arrangements recorded and mixed at Chasin' Jason Studios, DWG, TX
|2004||The Billboard 200||38|
Singles – Billboard (North America)
|2004||"Save Me"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||16|
|2004||"Pride"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||30|
- Martin Popoff. "DAMAGEPLAN - New Found Power". BraveWords.com.
- Allmusic review
- Gendron, Bob (February 29, 2004). "Damageplan". Chicago Tribune.
- "Damageplan: Webcast video posted online". Blabbermouth.net. 2004-02-24. Archived from the original on 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- Kirby, Jeff (2004-12-09). "Interview with Damageplan drummer Vinnie Abbott". Knac.com. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "New Found Power - DAMAGEPLAN". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2004-02-10. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- Klunk, Christine (2004-09-14). "PopMatters - New Found Power". PopMatters. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- Loftus, Johnny. "Allmusic - New Found Power". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- New Found Power liner notes. Elektra Entertainment Group, Inc. 2004. p. 2.