Nevşehir Province (Turkish: Nevşehir ili, from the Persian compound نو شهر Naw-shahr meaning "new city") is a province in central Turkey with its capital in Nevşehir. Its adjacent provinces are Kırşehir to the northwest, Aksaray to the southwest, Niğde to the south, Kayseri to the southeast, and Yozgat to the northeast. Nevşehir includes the area called Cappadocia - a tourist attraction in Turkey. The town of Göreme is also located in Nevşehir.
Location of Nevşehir Province in Turkey
|• Electoral district||Nevşehir|
|• Governor||İnci Sezer Becel|
|• Total||5,467 km2 (2,111 sq mi)|
|• Density||55/km2 (140/sq mi)|
Cappadocia once included the area now covered by this province. This province is notable for the fairy chimneys of Göreme, the Ortahisar (middle fortress), a number of old churches from the Byzantine period.
An approximately 5,000-year-old three-story underground town which referred as “Gir-Gör” (Enter and See) by locals was revealed in Avanos in 2019. The five-kilometer-long city consisted of three floors, homes, tunnels, places of worship and a small human figurine. According to the locals, site was considered a source of "healing water” and “Ceasar’s bath.”
Nevşehir province is divided into 8 districts (capital district in bold):
- "Population of provinces by years - 2000-2018". Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Agencies, Daily Sabah with (2019-06-08). "Mysterious flooding leads to discovery of 5,000-year-old underground city in Turkey's Cappadocia". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- aprilholloway. "Massive 5,000-year-old underground city uncovered in Cappadocia, Turkey". www.ancient-origins.net. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- "Mysterious flooding leads to the discovery of 5,000-year-old underground city in Turkey's Cappadocia | ARCHAEOLOGY WORLD". Retrieved 2020-09-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nevşehir Province.|
- (in Turkish) Nevşehir governor's official website
- (in Turkish) Nevşehir municipality's official website
- (in English) Nevşehir weather forecast information