Neuralink is an American neurotechnology company founded by Elon Musk and eight others, reported to be developing implantable brain–computer interfaces (BCIs). The company's headquarters are in San Francisco; it was started in 2016 and was first publicly reported in March 2017. The trademark "Neuralink" was purchased from its previous owners in January 2017.
|Jared Birchall (CEO)|
In April 2017, a blog called Wait But Why reported that the company aims to make devices to treat serious brain diseases in the short-term, with the eventual goal of human enhancement, sometimes called transhumanism. Musk said he got partly interested in the idea from a science fiction concept called "neural lace" that is part of the fictional universe in The Culture, a series of novels by Iain M. Banks.
Musk explained that the long-term goal is to achieve "symbiosis with artificial intelligence", which Musk perceives as an existential threat to humanity if it goes unchecked. At present time, some neuroprosthetics can interpret brain signals and allow disabled people to control their prosthetic arms and legs. Musk aims to link that technology with implants that, instead of actuating movement, can interface at broadband speed with other types of external software and gadgets.
- Winkler, Rolfe (March 27, 2017). "Elon Musk Launches Neuralink to Connect Brains With Computers". Wall Street Journal.
- Urban, Tim (20 April 2017). "Neuralink and the Brain's Magical Future". Wait But Why.
- 5 Neuroscience Experts Weigh in on Elon Musk's Mysterious "Neural Lace" Company. (PDF) Eliza Strickland. Harvard University. 12 April 2017.
- Elon Musk Breaks Twitter Silence on Secretive A.I.-Brain Firm Neuralink. Mike Brown, Inverse. 27 November 2018.
- Masunaga, Samantha (21 April 2017). "A quick guide to Elon Musk's new brain-implant company, Neuralink". Los Angeles Times.
- Statt, Nick (March 27, 2017). "Elon Musk launches Neuralink, a venture to merge the human brain with AI". The Verge.
- Meet the Guys Who Sold "Neuralink" to Elon Musk without Even Realizing It, April 4, 2017, MIT Technology Review
- Newitz, Annalee (March 27, 2017). "Elon Musk is setting up a company that will link brains and computers". Ars Technica.
- Cross, Tim (31 March 2017). "The novelist who inspired Elon Musk". 1843 Magazine.
- Elon Musk believes AI could turn humans into an endangered species like the mountain gorilla. Isobel Asher Hamilton, Business Insider. 26 November 2018.
- Everything you need to know about Neuralink: Elon Musk’s brainy new venture. Tyler Lacoma, Digital Trends. 7 November 2017.
- Conger, Kate. "Elon Musk's Neuralink Sought to Open an Animal Testing Facility in San Francisco". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
|This article about a medical, pharmaceutical or biotechnological corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|