NETVC(Redirected from NetVC)
The Internet Video Codec (NETVC) is a standardization project for a royalty-free video codec hosted by the IETF. It is intended to provide a royalty-free alternative to industry standards such as MPEG-4 and HEVC that require licensing payments for many uses. The group has put together a list of criteria to be met by the new video standard. The VP9-based format AOMedia Video 1 (AV1) from the Alliance for Open Media is the primary contender for standardisation by the NetVC working group.
The October 2015 basic draft requirements for NETVC are support for a bit depth of 8-bits to 10-bits per sample, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, 4:4:4 YUV, low coding delay capability, feasible real time decoder/encoder software implementations, temporal scalability, and error resilience tools. The October 2015 optional draft requirements for NETVC is support for a bit depth of up to 16-bits per sample, 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, RGB video, auxiliary channel planes, high dynamic range, and parallel processing tools.
On July 22, 2015, Cisco Systems' Thor video codec was presented to the IETF as a candidate for their NETVC video standard. Thor is being developed by Cisco Systems and uses some Cisco elements that are also used by HEVC. The Constrained Low-Pass Filter (CLPF) and motion compensation that are used in Thor were tested with Daala.
The planned schedule for the development of NETVC is:
- April 2018: Informational document on requirements and evaluation criteria.
- July 2018: Informational document on test results, initial codec specification and reference implementation.
- December 2018: Standards documents on codec specification and storage format specification.
- "Birds of a Feather Meetings (IETF Pre-WG Efforts)". Internet Engineering Task Force. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- Sebastian Grüner (golem.de), July 19, 2016: Der nächste Videocodec soll 25 Prozent besser sein als H.265 (german)
- A. Filippov (2015-10-19). "Video Codec Requirements and Evaluation Methodology". IETF. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- Lucian Armasu (2015-03-25). "IETF Begins Standardization Process For Next-Generation 'NETVC' Video Codec (Daala)". Tom's Hardware. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "NETVC BoF" (PDF). Internet Engineering Task Force. 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2015-08-06.
- NetVC Working Group Documents
- "NETVC IETF 93". Internet Engineering Task Force. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "Thor" (PDF). Internet Engineering Task Force. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- NETVC Hackathon Results IETF 93 (Prague) (PDF)
- "Internet Video Codec (netvc)". IETF. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|