Nery Antonio Brenes Cárdenas, (born September 25, 1985) is a Costa Rican sprinter. He is one of Costa Rica's most prominent track and field athletes and reached the semi-finals at the 400 m sprint in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
Brenes celebrating his win at the 2012 World Indoor Championships.
|Full name||Nery Antonio Brenes Cárdenas|
|Born||September 25, 1985|
Limón, Limón, Costa Rica
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||62 kg (137 lb)|
|Coached by||Emmanuel Chanto|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||200 m: 20.20 (Rio de Janeiro 2016)|
400 m: 44.60 (Madrid 2016)
Brenes won the gold medal at the 2012 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, setting a new national and championship record. "Brenes improved his personal mark by approximately one second, something nobody expected on a championship, taking the gold medal", cited his personal trainer and motivator Andrés Oro Fijo Calderón. He has participated in major events like the 2007 World Championships in Athletics in Osaka, Japan, and achieved a 4th-place finish at the 2008 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Valencia, Spain. He also finished in 3rd place at the 2008 ÅF Golden League meet in Oslo, Norway.
- 400 m: 45.11 s – Istanbul, 10 March 2012
- Robinson, Javier Clovelo; Calixto, Néstor; Barrantes, Vanessa (2008-03-05). "Nery Brenes ready to put Costa Rica on the athletics map". IAAF Athletics. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- "Costa Rica"[permanent dead link], Reuters, June 17, 2008
- "2012 World Indoor Championships – Men's 400 metres (final)" (PDF). Omega Timing. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Nery Brenes consigue un histórico oro para Costa Rica en 400 metros".
- Nery Brenes at World Athletics
- Nery Brenes at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- "Against the Odds: Nery Brenes", BBC, July 21, 2008
- Tilastopaja biography
| Flagbearer for Costa Rica
Rio de Janeiro 2016