This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nenad Popović (Serbian Cyrillic: Ненад Поповић; born 30 September 1966) is a Serbian politician and businessman. He served as Minister without portfolio of Serbia in charge of innovations and technological development from 29 June 2017.
|Minister without portfolio|
|Assumed office |
29 June 2017
|Prime Minister||Ana Brnabić|
|Preceded by||Jadranka Joksimović|
|Born||30 September 1966|
(now Bosnia and Herzegovina)
|Political party||Democratic Party of Serbia|
Serbian People's Party (2014–present)
|Alma mater||University of Belgrade|
Moscow State University
He is a former vice-president of Democratic Party of Serbia, National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia, and President of the parliamentary group of friendship between Serbia and Russia. In 2014, he founded the political party Serbian People's Party.
Early years and educationEdit
Popović was born in Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina, on 30 September 1966, son of Nemanja Popović, university professor and academician of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, and of Danica, professor of history. 
He graduated from the University of Belgrade Faculty of Machine Engineering. He finished his Master's and doctoral studies at Moscow State University's Faculty of Economy. He was a professor at the Faculty of Economy of Moscow's Lomonosov University and the Faculty of Economy of the Moscow State Mining University.
From 2006 to 2008 he was the Head of the Economic Team for Kosovo and Metohija. He led the development of the Strategy for Long-Term Economic Development of Serbian Communities in Kosovo and Metohija. At the same time, he was Vice-President and later Deputy Chairman of the Coordination Body for the Presevo, Bujanovac and Medvedja municipalities. Former deputy president of DSS, president of the DSS Economic Council and deputy in the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia.
His name was mentioned in the Paradise Papers in connection to owning several off-shore companies. Value of his business undertakings reaches 100 million dollars, making him officially the richest Serbian politician.
On 29 June 2017, he was named the Minister without portfolio in the Government of Serbia in the charge of the innovations and technological development. On 3 July 2017, Aleksandr Chepurin, Russian Federation Ambassador to Serbia, made a first official visit to Popović after being sworn as minister.
In July 2019 Popovic stated that "there was no genocide in Srebrenica and Serbs will never accept to be stamped as genocidal people." He said Serbia should rethink its goal of becoming a European Union member because of such claims.
Popović is the owner and president of the international company ABS Electro which employs over three thousand people, engaged in the production of electrical-technical equipment, creating advanced engineering solutions for a variety of industries such as electrical power, shipbuilding, oil, gas, metal, mining, and others.
He is the president of the Foundation "Russian Necropolises" from Belgrade, which was responsible for the project of reconstruction of the complex of memorial monuments Russian necropolises in the New Cemetery in Belgrade. Popović is also member of the Board of the International Fun of Unity of Orthodox Nations.
Awards and honorsEdit
- Medal of Holy Sergey Radoniesky, for exceptional contribution to the development and straightening of relations among Eastern Orthodox Christian nations, awarded by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
- Medal of Holy Daniel of Moscow, for the spiritual renaissance of Russia, awarded by the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia
- Medal of Humanity Award of the State Union Serbia and Montenegro for humanitarian work and exceptional contribution and help to the Serb population in Kosovo and Metohija
- Order of Friendship, for special contribution to the development of economic and social relationships between Serbia and Russia, awarded by the President of the Russian Federation;
- Order of the Saint Sava of the Second Grade, for the renewal and strengthening of faith and the Serbian Orthodox Church, awarded by the Serbian Patriarch
- Order of the Venerable Seraphim of Sarov, for a special contribution to the revival of monasteries, churches, temples as well as church-social activism, awarded by the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia
- Poreklo Nenada Popovića Portal Poreklo, 30 aprila 2012
- "U vladi još jedan ministar bez portfelja – Nenad Popović". politika.rs (in Serbian). Politika. 27 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Čepurin prvi gost Nenada Popovića od kako je postao ministar: Za još snažnije odnose Srbije i Rusije". blic.rs (in Serbian). Tanjug. 3 July 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Bosnian Muslims mark 1995 massacre of thousands with burials – AP, 11 Jul 2019
- ABS Electro
- Biografija Nenada Popovića SNP, pristupljeno: 22. januara 2015.
- National Assembly Deputy Speaker Dr Nenad Popovic Signs Declaration of Inter-Parliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy, 29 June 2013
- Nenad Popović on Twitter
| Minister without portfolio of Serbia