Nemom railway station
|Regional rail and Light rail station|
|Location||Nemom, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|Elevation||28 metres (92 ft)|
|Structure type||Standard (on-ground station)|
|Zone(s)||Southern Railway zone|
Train operating centreEdit
Indian Railways have finalized a proposal for setting up an operating centre in Nemom, for trains starting from and terminating in Thiruvananthapuram Central. All coach maintenance activities performed at Thiruvananthapuram Central proposed to be transferred to Nemom once operating centre is commissioned. Railways propose to set up 10 pit lines for maintenance of 30 trains, 12 stabling lines, sick lines and staff quarters at Nemom.
Proposed new passenger terminalEdit
The Ministry of Railways, in its budget for fiscal year 2011–2012, announced to develop Nemom as second satellite passenger terminal to Thiruvananthapuram Central. Thiruvananthapuram will thus become first city in Kerala to have two satellite stations. Nemom will soon be developed as a full-fledged Passenger Terminus (Coaching Terminal) with 5 platforms and will act as a terminus station for trains coming to Thiruvananthapuram Central, thereby reducing rush/congestion in the station.
An amount of Rs. 77.30 crores have been allotted for the first phase of the new Terminal, as per Shri O. Rajagopal M.L.A., as reported by the media including The Hindu.
A new rail line is expected to connect Nemom with Vizhinjam port. Extension of proposed Sabari rail line from Erumely via Pathanamthitta, Punalur, Nedumanagadu is expected to connect with proposed Nemom terminal. The station is on the way for renaming to Thiruvananthapuram South Terminal.
- The Hindu : Kerala / Thiruvananthapuram News : Thiruvananthapuram Central to be made a world-class station
- The Hindu : Kerala / Thiruvananthapuram News : Nemom to be operating centre for trains
- The Hindu : Kerala / Thiruvananthapuram News : Train operating centre proposal finalised
- The Hindu Business Line : Thiruvananthapuram Rly Divn earns Rs 837 cr in 2009-10
- The Hindu : Cities / Thiruvananthapuram : Railways for third line between Thiruvananthapuram and Kochuveli
- "₹77.3 cr for coaching terminal, says MLA". The Hindu. 10 February 2018.