Nelson railway station
Nelson railway station serves the town of Nelson in Lancashire, and is situated on the East Lancashire Line 2 miles (3 km) away from the terminus at Colne. The station is managed by Northern, which also provides its passenger service. The station was opened on 1 February 1849 by the East Lancashire Railway (which later became part of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway) as Nelson Inn, Marsden named after the public house adjacent to the station.
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1849|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
It was not until later in the nineteenth century that Nelson came into existence as a town and was previously two separate villages called Great Marsden and Little Marsden. The line was formerly on a through route to Skipton and the Aire Valley, but this was closed beyond Colne in 1970.
The station forms part of Nelson Interchange, which also includes a new bus station, which opened in December 2008, adjacent to the now disused eastbound platform. The station originally had an island platform configuration, but only the westbound face is now used following the singling of the track southwards to Rose Grove in December 1986. The station still has its original platform canopy.
The station is still staffed on a part-time basis (Mon-Sat mornings & afternoons), with the local Tourist Information office located here. Full step-free access is available, with ramps & a lift to/from platform level to the main entrance, plus a level walkway to the bus station building.
Monday to Saturdays, there is an hourly service from Nelson towards Burnley Central, Accrington, Blackburn and Preston westbound and Colne, eastbound. One morning peak service formerly ran to Manchester Victoria from Blackburn instead of Preston, returning from Manchester in the evening, but this no longer runs since the May 2009 timetable change (it was diverted to run to/from Clitheroe).
- Marshall, John (1969). The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, volume 1. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. pp. 115, 123. ISBN 0-7153-4352-1.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 167. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Nelson station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 25 November 2016]
- Northern Rail Timetable 9 - Colne to Preston & Blackpool 17 May - 12 December 2009 Archived 24 August 2009 at the Wayback Machine Northern Rail website; retrieved 27 January 2016
- Table 97 National Rail timetable, May 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nelson railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
East Lancashire Line
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|