Neil Francis Costa is a Gibraltarian barrister and politician affiliated to the Gibraltar Liberal Party (GLP). In December 2011 he was elected an MP to the Gibraltar Parliament and was elected Minister for Tourism, Public Transport, Commercial Affairs and the Port. After the Ministerial reshuffle of December 2014, he became Minister for Business and Employment. In October 2016, he was appointed Minister for Health, Care and Justice. In October 2019, Costa confirmed his decision that he would not seek re-election and returned to work as a barrister.
Neil Francis Costa
|Minister for Health, Care and Justice|
|Shadow Minister for Health and Social Services|
|Political party||Gibraltar Liberal Party (GLP)|
|Alma mater||Bayside Comprehensive School|
University of Wales, Cardiff
Inns of Court School of Law
University of Edinburgh
Costa was born in Gibraltar into a working class family. He grew up in the government flat which his parents shared with his grandparents and other family members. His father was a stonemason and his mother a cashier at supermarket. He stood out when he obtained three A grades, two with Distinction, at A-level at Bayside Comprehensive School. He went on to study law and Spanish at the University of Wales in Cardiff where he graduated with honours. Costa completed his law studies at the Inns of Court School of Law in London, was admitted to the bar in London in November 2002 and to the Gibraltar bar in January 2003. In 2016, Costa embarked on a LLM in Law from the University of Edinburgh, obtaining a Distinction in October 2019.
Costa has been involved in the politics of Gibraltar since his student days, and he joined the Gibraltar Liberal Party in 1999. In 2007, he was elected to Parliament and became Shadow Minister for Health and Social Services. In 2011, along with Dr. Joseph Garcia and Steven Linares, formed the group of GLP candidates who stood in alliance with the Gibraltar Socialist Labour Party (GSLP) to contest the 2011 general elections.
- Gibraltar Chronicle, ed. (20 October 2016). "Govt announces major reshuffle". Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- VOX, ed. (16 March 2007). "Neil Costa: A Liberal with a Bright Future in Law – Or Politics". Archived from the original on 4 September 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Gibraltar Chronicle, ed. (11 November 2011). "Garcia, Costa and Linares Make Up Liberal Part Of Alliance". Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "New Government Announces Ministers' Portfolios Today". Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Interview with Neil Costa, minister for business and employment, The Report, 12 October 2015
- "Health Minister Neil Costa announces he won't contest the next election: Full statement". GBC. 17 September 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Former Minister for Justice, Neil Costa, joins Isolas LLP". GBC. 24 October 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2020.