Neerpelt is a former municipality located in the Belgian province of Limburg. In December 2012, it had a total population of 16,742, of which 3.090 were foreigners, mainly from neighbouring The Netherlands. The total area is 42.78 km² which gives a population density of 384 inhabitants per km².
Neerpelt - Sint-Niklaas church
|• Mayor||Raf Drieskens (CD&V)|
|• Governing party/ies||CD&V, sp.a|
|• Total||42.78 km2 (16.52 sq mi)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
- Musica: Impulse Center for music, and manager of het Klankenbos (the sound forest) on the Dommelhof site
- Zebracinema: arthouse cinema in Belgian Limburg
- Circus Center: Flemish anchor point for circus art
- Jazzcase: Northern Limburg jazz platform
The Klankenbos is the biggest sound art collection in public space in Europe. In the forest there are 15 sound installation pieces by artists such as Pierre Berthet, Paul Panhuysen, Geert Jan Hobbijn (Staalplaat Soundsystem), Hans van Koolwijk, and others.
Famous people who were born or lived in Neerpelt include:
- Stijn Coninx, director of Academy Award nominated film "Daens"
- Ken De Dycker, motocross racer
- Eric Geboers, motocross world champion
- Bart Goor, football (soccer) player, played 65 times for the Belgian national football team
- Wim Mertens, composer, musician, and musicologist (b. 1953)
- Stijn Meuris, singer-songwriter with the bands Monza and Noordkaap
- Belle Perez, singer
- Raf Simons, fashion designer
- Jelle Vanendert, professional cyclist who currently rides for Lotto-Belisol
- Joost Zweegers, singer-songwriter with the band Novastar
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
|This Belgian Limburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|