Neer Dose (Kannada: ನೀರ್ ದೋಸೆ) is a 2016 Indian Kannada cult black comedy film produced by T. Goswami and Shashikala Balaji, written and directed by Vijaya Prasad. It stars Jaggesh and Hariprriya alongside Suman Ranganathan and H. G. Dattatreya. It was one of the most highly acclaimed films of 2016. The film uses comedy and drama to tell a story of three friends.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vijaya Prasad|
|Produced by||S. Prasanna|
S. Shashikala Balaji
|Screenplay by||Vijaya Prasad|
|Story by||Vijaya Prasad|
H. G. Dattatreya
|Music by||Anoop Seelin|
|Edited by||Suresh Urs|
|Distributed by||C K Cine Creations|
|Box office||₹10 crore|
The film revolves around the lives of five characters — Jaggesh Kumar (Jaggesh), a crematorium van driver; Dattatreya (H.G.Dattatreya), a retired man; Kumudha (Haripriya), a sex worker; and Sharada Mani (Suman Ranganathan), a milk stall owner. When the film opens, the five characters had already met. The film tells the story of how they met, their individual backstories, and the role Neer Dose played in their life.
All music is composed by Anoop Seelin.
|1.||"Sapura Kati"||Arasu Anthare||Ananya Bhagath||3:46|
|2.||"Hogi Baa Belake"||Vijaya Prasad||Gangubai Hangal, Anoop Seelin||3:54|
|3.||"Nanna Pedde Preethisu"||Vijaya Prasad||Siddharth Belmannu, Samanvitha Sharma||3:49|
|4.||"Neer Dose"||Vijaya Prasad||L. N. Shastry, Sunitha Murali||4:01|
Backed by the technical team of Vijaya Prasad's Sidlingu, the film began production in October 2012. Production was delayed by the unavailability of actress Ramya following her election as a Member of Parliament from Mandya. One of the film's producers, Ashu, approached Jaggesh to sort out the issue and complete the movie. In response, Jaggesh composed a series of tweets directed at Ramya in which he criticized her lack of availability for filming. Production resumed in June 2015 after Ramya arrived and other production issues were resolved.
Release and critical receptionEdit
Neer Dose was released on September 2, 2016, and entered theatres around the time of the 2016 Ganesha Festival. The trailer and music received over 1,900,000 views on social media. The film opened in 120 theatres.
Neer Dose received an A certification from the Central Board of Film Certification, citing its many double entendre one-liners. The movie generated mixed reactions from critics. Overall the movie was praised for the screenplay, the cinematography, and the performances of the lead actors.
One review said: "In a different perspective, Vijaya Prasad has his own profound way of talking about life while staying away from preachy and philosophical touch."
Another one quoted: "Jaggesh and Dattanna, the two fine actors are yet again at their best performances and a treat while they make it look very natural. Hariprriya as Kumuda is the real change over for the actress, who has pulled it with ace marks. Irrespective of how 'Neer Dose' turns out to be at the end of the day before the box office, Hariprriya's effortless acting will be an everlasting remark in her career. No wonder, even if she manages to win an award or two for this daring one."
- "`Neer Dose` Makes Rs 10 Crore Collection in 5 Days; Jaggesh Reacts - TV9 Kannada". Dailyhunt.
- "Karnataka News: Bangalore, Mangalore, Mysore, Local News Online". NewsKarnataka. 19 July 2019.
- "Hariprriya gets into Ramya's Shoes for Neer Dose". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Suman Ranganathan is now in Neer Dose". Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Nathan, Archana (3 September 2016). "Neer Dose: Serving up a heavy dose of misogyny". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "'Neer Dosa' Launched". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Congress wins Karnataka by-polls by heavy margin". News18. 24 August 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Ramya and Jaggesh engage in a war of words - The Times of India". articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Jaggesh Wages Twitter War With Ramya". www.filmibeat.com. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Ramya out of Neer Dose". www.filmibeat.com. 30 January 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Bhavana no longer a part of Neer Dose - The Times of India". articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Ramya back in Neer Dose?". www.filmibeat.com. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Ramya files complaint against photographers for releasing her Neer Dose look". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Neer Dose to begin from 4 March