Neelkanth (Gujarati: નીલકંઠ Hindi: नीलकंठ) is a feature film based on childhood story of Swaminarayan. The film has true inspiring story of 11 years old teenage yogi, "Neelkanth", who renounced his home and took an extraordinary spiritual - incredible pilgrimage on the foot across the length and breath of India. This is story of struggle, determination, kindness, courage, compassion, austerity, adventure, faith, fearlessness and survival of child.
|Directed by||Hitesh Raval, |
|Produced by||Kanji Varsani, Mahendra Samatrai|
|Screenplay by||Mahendra Varsani|
|Story by||Mahendra Varsani |
|Narrated by||Ashish Kakkad|
|Cinematography||Haresh P. Shah|
|Edited by||Sunil Vaghela|
Mahendra Varsani Creation Co.
|Distributed by||Mahendra Varsani Creation Co.|
The movie begins with the heart touching montage "India, the country rich with the most ancient culture in the world. ShriRam, the Maryada Purushottam (The supreme human being with regard to observing the restrictions laid down by the society), and Yogeshwar (The God of Yoga) Shri Krushra took incarnation. The period from 1707 to 1858 was particularly difficult. Anarchy prevailed everywhere. Intrigued by the British policy to divide and rule the states are fighting with one another. Holy men have become pompous and hypocrite to serve their own ends. Unscrupulous people in the disguise of holy men roam everywhere to cheat and loot the people. It is the same land where women were elevated to the status of goddess but now they are subjected to heinous cruelty. In the blind desire to have a son, they drown the girl child in milk immediately after her birth. The evil practice of 'Sati' - a widowed woman immolating herself on the pyre of her deceased husband - has become deep rooted. Chaos and anarchy are all-pervading because of ignorance and lack of spiritual understanding. India awaits a reformer."
The film shows true life story of Swaminarayan from his birth, Ghanashyama's gracious-amiable Leela. After death of his parents, on 29 June 1792, Neelkanth begins his journey of awakening. Having resolved to embrace the challenges of nature, he leaves his home in the city of Ayodhya at the age of 11. Neelkanth walks alone into the cold stormy night, wearing nothing over his shoulders or under his feet. Neelkanth took very few possessions with him on his journey. Known articles include a loin cloth, "a rosary, a kerchief, a piece of cloth for filtering water, a small manuscript and inner courage, confidence and a silent spiritual strength." At the Saryu River, Kaliddatt's fellows Kaushikdatt and other devils throw him in river. Neelkanth is swept away, leaving behind all that was familiar. He took an extraordinary spiritual - incredible journey across the India. He walked alone, barefoot and bare body continuously. This is story of struggle, determination, kindness, courage, compassion, austerity, adventure, faith, fearlessness and survival of child. Neelkanth walked 12,000 kilometers around the Indian subcontinent over a span of 7 years. The Film is ended with continuous journey of the child and to be continued for Part 2.
- Purva Joshi as Neelkanth, Ghanshyam
- Hitesh Raval as Kalidatt
- Atul Patel as Pibek
- Happy Bhavsar as Bhaktidevi
- Bhargav Joshi as Dharmadev
- Sachin Brahmbhatt as Rampratap
- Priyanka Bhavanandi as Suvasini
- Nilu Pathak as Brahman Stri
- Anirudhdhsinh Gohil as Manaskhau Rakshak
- Haresh Dagiya as Sweet Vendor
- Kaushika Goswami as Maya Rani
- Prabhakar Shukla as Muni
The film was made with sole aim to spread knowledge, spirituality and inspire people by childhood charitra of Swamianrayan. The film's story adopted from holy books of Swaminarayan sect. (Shree Hari Charitramrut, Shree Hari Van Vicharan, Shrimad Satsangee Jeevan). The film's pre production was started in October 2010. The Script was made under kind guidance of Shree Swaminarayan Temple - Bhuj (Kutch).
The film shot in Kutch, Gandhinagar and Baroda. The film was shot at 30 different locations in 42 days. The unit has done Muhurt shot in Shree Nar Narayandev Temple - Bhuj Kutch in January 2011. The film was shot in real location of Kutch - Gujarat and on set made by unit in Baroda. The whole film shoot was completed in end of May 2011.
|Soundtrack album by |
Mahendra Samatrai Creation Co.
|Released||26 September 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Mahendra Varsani Creation Co.|
|1.||"He Brahmnayak Dev Morari"||Gordhan Veghad||Arun Rajyaguru, Kritika Jani||4:58|
|2.||"O Ghanashyam"||Gordhan Veghad||Kritika Jani||5:20|
|3.||"Varni Karie Vandan"||Gordhan Veghad||Praful Dave||5:36|
|4.||"O Natvar Nana"||Gordhan Veghad||Praful Dave, Kritika Jani||4:22|
|5.||"Bhakti Amari"||Gordhan Veghad||Child Chorus||4:08|
The premier celebration was held for Saints at mini theater of Shree Nar Narayandev Temple - Bhuj and cinema premier on 13 July 2012 with the presence of Saints, Local Politicians, Actors and other honorable people.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Manilal C., Parekh (1980). Shri Svaminarayan (3rd ed.). Bombay: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan.
- "Shree Swaminarayan Temple Bhuj".
- "ભુજ સ્વામિનારાયણ મંદિર દ્રારા ૧૩મીએ નીલકંઠ ફિલ્મ રજુ થશે". Aam Tak News Paper. 11 July 2012.
- "નીલકંઠ ચલચિત્રનો ૧૩મીએ ભુજમાં પ્રીમિયર શો". Kutch UdayNews Paper. 11 July 2012.
- "ફિલ્મ "નીલકંઠ"નો શુક્રવારે ભુજમાં પ્રીમિયર શો". Vavad News Paper. 11 July 2012.
- "ભુજ સ્વામિનારાયણ મંદિર દ્રારા ૧૩મીએ નીલકંઠ ફિલ્મ રજુ થશે". Kutchmitra News Paper. 12 July 2012.
- "स्वामिनारायण पर बनी फिल्म का प्रीमियर आज". Rajasthan Patrika. 13 July 2012.
- "ભાવિકો ફિલ્મ નિહાળી રોમાંચિત થયા". Divya Bhaskar.
- "Neelkanth,Gujarati religious movie in Melbourne". India2Australia. Archived from the original on 13 September 2014.
- "Neelkanth Promo". YouTube.
- "ભુજ સ્વામિનારાયણ મંદિર દ્રારા પ્રસ્તુત "નીલકંઠ"ને ટ્રાન્સમીડિયા એવોર્ડ". Kutchmitra. 23 February 2013.
- Lalji Hirani (23 February 2013). "Gujarati Film Nominated in 11 categories: Divya Bhaskar". Divya Bhaskar.
- Bhaskar News (8 July 2014). "ભુજમાં ગોલી,બોલી અને હોલીવુડનો જમાવડો : ભાસ્કર ન્યુઝ, ભુજ". Divya Bhaskar.
- Ano Patel (8 July 2014). "Neelkanth wins the Best Feature Film award at the Kutch Film Screen Award-2014". Times of India.