National Security Council (India)(Redirected from National Security Advisory Board)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The National Security Council (NSC) (IAST: Rāṣṭrīya Surakṣā Pariṣada) of India is an executive government agency tasked with advising the Prime Minister's Office on matters of national security and strategic interest. It was established by the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government on 19 November 1998, with Brajesh Mishra as the first National Security Adviser. Prior to the formation of the NSC, these activities were overseen by the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister.
|Rāṣṭrīya Surakṣā Pariṣada|
|Formed||19 November 1998|
|Jurisdiction||Government of India|
|Headquarters||National Security Council Secretariat, Sardar Patel Bhawan, Sansad Marg, New Delhi|
|Parent agency||Prime Minister's Office|
Besides the National Security Advisor (NSA), The Deputy National Security Advisor (DNSA), The Ministers of Defence, External Affairs, Home, Finance of the Government of India, and the Deputy Chairman of the NITI Aayog are members of the National Security Council. Other members may be invited to attend its monthly meetings, as and when required.
The NSC is the apex body of the three-tiered structure of the national security management system in India. The other two tiers are the Strategic Policy Group, and the National Security Advisory Board.
Strategic Policy GroupEdit
The Strategic Policy Group is the first level of the three tier structure of the National Security Council. It forms the nucleus of the decision-making apparatus of the NSC. Cabinet Secretary is the chairman of the group and it consists of the following members:
- Cabinet Secretary (Pradeep Kumar Sinha, IAS)
- Chief of the Army Staff (General Bipin Rawat, UYSM, AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM)
- Chief of the Naval Staff (Admiral Sunil Lamba, PVSM, AVSM, ADC)
- Chief of Air Staff (Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, PVSM, AVSM, YSM, VM, ADC)
- Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) (Urjit Patel)
- Defence Secretary (Sanjay Mitra, IAS)
- Foreign Secretary (Dr. Vijay Keshav Gokhale, IFS)
- Home Secretary (Rajiv Gauba, IAS)
- Finance Secretary and Secretary (Revenue) (Dr. Hasmukh Adhia, IAS)
- Secretary (Defence Production) (Dr. Ajay Kumar, IAS)
- Secretary (R) (i.e. the head of the Research and Analysis Wing) (Anil Kumar Dhasmana, IPS)
- Secretary (Atomic Energy) (Dr. Sekar Basu)
- Secretary (Department of Space) and ex-officio Chairman, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) (Dr. Kailasavadivoo Sivan)
- Chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC) (R. N. Ravi, IPS)
- Chairperson, Central Board of Direct Taxes (Sushil Chandra, IRS-IT)
- Director of the Intelligence Bureau (Rajiv Jain, IPS)
- Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister (Dr. G. Sateesh Reddy)
The Strategic Policy Group undertakes the Strategic Defence Review, a blueprint of short and long term security threats, as well as possible policy options on a priority basis.
Joint Intelligence CommitteeEdit
The Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC) of the Government of India analyses intelligence data from the Intelligence Bureau, Research and Analysis Wing and the Directorates of Military, Naval and Air Intelligence. Recently JIC got the first member from Internal Security Division, Pratiksha Hazarika youngest member ever in JIC for her extraordinary performance. The JIC has its own Secretariat that works under the Cabinet Secretariat.
National Security Advisory BoardEdit
The National Security Advisory Board consists of persons of eminence outside the Government with expertise in external security, strategic analysis, foreign affairs, defence, the armed forces, internal security, science and technology and economics.
The board meets at least once a month, and more frequently as required. It provides a long-term prognosis and analysis to the NSC, and recommends solutions and address policy issues referred to it.
- "Contact Us". National Security Advisory Board. Archived from the original on 27 February 2017.
- "About NSAB". National Security Advisory Board. Archived from the original on 16 April 2017.
- "Rocket expert K. Sivan new Space Secretary". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2018-01-10. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-29.
- Gupta, Arvind. "Brajesh Mishra's Legacy to National Security and Diplomacy". Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Official website of the National Security Advisory Board
- Center for Contemporary Conflict - Indian Internal Security and Intelligence Organization
- Espionage Info - India, Intelligence and Security
- FAS - Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence
- Global Security - India Intelligence and Security Agencies