National Masturbation Day
National Masturbation Day, also known as International Masturbation Day, is an annual event held yearly on May 7th. The intent is to protect and celebrate the right to masturbate. The first National Masturbation Day was May 7, 1995, after sex-positive retailer Good Vibrations declared the day in honor of Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, who was fired by President Bill Clinton in 1994 for suggesting masturbation be part of the sex education curriculum for students.
Recently a time was coordinated on May 7th to have a unified orgasm by those who are participating in the virtual event set at 22:30 UTC (6:30 pm EST/3:30 pm PST). The idea is to coordinate a worldwide communal simultaneous release. Initially a website was under development allowing people to signup showing their support but as of early May 2021 none exist.
- "X-Toy Group Fights Bans S.F. Activists Join Battle against 14 States' Restrictions". Mercury News. 1999-05-08. Archived from the original on 2012-03-10. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "National Masturbation Month Reaches Climax On May 28". Wireless Flash News. 2005-05-23. Archived from the original on 2013-08-02. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- Goldstein, Nikki (2013-05-28). "International Masturbation Day". Yahoo! Lifestyle. Archived from the original on September 4, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- Clinton Fires Surgeon General Over New Flap
- Silver, Matty (April 14, 2015). "Make time for yourselves during National Masturbation Month in May". Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- Zombeck, Richard (2013-05-20). "Get to Know Yourself -- It's Masturbation Month". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "National Masturbation Month". The Huffington Post. 2013-05-31. Retrieved May 14, 2016.
- Sam Prince (May 5, 2015). "National Masturbation Month: All the Memes You Need to See". heavy.com. Heavy.com. Archived from the original on May 17, 2016. Retrieved May 14, 2016.