National Judicial Council (Nigeria)
The National Judicial Council (NJC), is an executive body established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in accordance with the provisions of Section 153 of the 1999 Constitution as amended to protect the Judiciary of Nigeria from the whims and caprices of the Executive.
Justice I. Tanko Muhammad
|Born||December 31, 1953|
Doguwa - Giade LGA, Bauchi State
|Education||Attended Government Secondary School, Azare where he obtained the West Africa School Certificate in 1973 before he later proceeded to Ahmadu Bello University where he received an LL.B. degree in Islamic law in 1980.|
|Title||Chief Justice of Nigeria|
|Type||Federal Executive Body|
|Purpose||Promoting legal professionalism in Nigeria|
|Headquarters||Three Arms Zone, Abuja.|
|Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad|
The Chairman of Council is the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Dr. Justice I. Tanko Muhammad while the Deputy Chairman is Hon Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, justice of the Supreme Court. Other members are: The President of the Court of Appeal, four retired Justices of the Supreme Court, a retired President of the Court of Appeal, President of National Industrial Court, Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Chief Judge of the High Court FCT, Chief Judges of High Court of four states, President of Customary Court of Appeal, Grand Khadi of Sharia Court of Appeal, President of the Nigeria Bar Association, a former President of the Nigeria Bar Association, three members of the Nigeria Bar Association, and two retired Public Servant. The present Secretary of Council is Ahmed Gambo Saleh, Esq.
The NJC perform several judicial functions such as advising the President of Nigeria and Governors on issues related to the judiciary. They also perform disciplinary functions as well as appointment and nomination of executive members of the Judicial.
- "National Judicial Council - INFORMATION NIGERIA". informationng.com.
- "National Judicial Council Archives - Premium Times Nigeria". Premium Times Nigeria.
- Global Corruption Report 2007. google.co.uk. 24 May 2007. ISBN 9781139465441.
- "National Judicial Council". www.njc.gov.ng. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Jonathan Vs Salami: Why Adoke chose to play "the black sheep"". Vanguard News.
- "Salami: Jonathan Accepts NJC Recommendation, But..., Articles - THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Archived from the original on 2015-04-28.
- "NJC Asks Jonathan to Re-instate Salami, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Archived from the original on 2012-05-14.
- "National Judicial Council Sacks Three Rogue Judges". Pointblank News.
- "The Man Who Will Be Chief Justice of Nigeria, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Archived from the original on 2014-11-29.
- "Nigeria's National Judicial Council 'Retires' Pension Thief Judge And Two Other Rogue Judges". Sahara Reporters.