National Guard (Kyrgyzstan)
The National Guard of Kyrgyzstan (Kyrgyz: Кыpгыз Pecпyбликacынын Улуттук гвардия; Russian: Национальная гвардия Киргизии) is the National Guard of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan. The national guard was founded on December 6, 1991 by order of President Askar Akayev. The troops took their first oath July 20, 1992. It carries out functions of a representative and protocol nature, protection and protection of strategic facilities of the country, liquidation of the consequences of natural disasters and emergency situations. In 2014, the Internal Troops of the Ministry of the Interior was absorbed into the National Guard as a result of military reforms in the country. This arrangement would stay until September 2018 when the two were separated and the Internal Troops were reformed. In 2016, the Commander of the National Guard was put onto the General Staff of the Armed Forces.
The honor guard of the National Guard standing at attention on Ala-Too Square
|Active||6 December 1991|
|Branch||Armed Forces of the Kyrgyz Republic|
|Role||public duties, physical security|
|March||Anthem of the National Guard (Улуттук гвардиянын гимни)|
|Anniversaries||July 20 (Day of the National Guard)|
|Commander of the National Guard||Colonel Talantbek Ergeshov|
The following tasks are assigned to the National Guard:
- Protection of the constitutional system and state sovereignty of the country
- Implementation of measures in the conditions of the military and emergency states
- Participation in the territorial defense of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Protection of state and strategic facilities
- Interact with state bodies in charge of national security on issues related to public security
- Implement measures of alertness
- Eliminate of illegal armed groups
- Manage the consequences of natural and man-made emergencies
- Work as an anti-terrorism force
- Perform ceremonial rituals at protocol events
- Ensure the protection of information constituting state secrets
- Headquarters Command
- Leadership Staff
- Commander of the National Guard
- First Deputy Commander of the National Guard
- Deputy Commander of the National Guard
- Deputy Commander of the National Guard
- Leadership Staff
- Ilbirs brigade
- Bars Unit
- Edelweiss Unit
- Panther Airborne Battalion
- Special Forces of the National Guard
- Special Regiment of the Ministry of Internal Affairs "Shumkar"
- Special Forces of the State Service for Control of Drug Trafficking
- Special Forces of the Border Guard Service
- Rapid Reaction Battalion (at Manas Airbase)
- Honor Guard Battalion (Military Unit No. 701)
- 1st company (subordinated to the President)
- 2nd company
- 3rd company
- Band of the National Guard (Улуттук гвардиянын оркестри)
- Salute Battery
Honor Guard BattalionEdit
The guard of honor is formed from the 701st Military Unit of the National Guard. The soldiers of the guard of honor of the National Guard stand at attention at the National Flagpole on Ala-Too Square in Bishkek, performing a changing of the guard ceremony every hour since August 16, 1998. It also represented the Kyrgyz Republic at foreign military parades, particularly the 2015 Moscow and Beijing Victory Day Parade. The unit is similar in structure and organization to Russia's 154th Preobrazhensky Independent Commandant's Regiment and Kazakhstan's Aibyn Regiment. In November 2015, the unit received its first unit banner from General Janybek Kaparov. The current commander of the unit is Mirlan Temirov.
Recruitment and trainingEdit
National Guard personnel are composed of soldiers and civilians alike. The basis for recruitment is laid out under a voluntary contract, as well as conscription of citizens for military service. Selection of servicemen to the National Guard is carried out in coordination with the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of the Interior. While the National guard does not provide its own independent educational course, many National Guard personnel are educated in higher military institutions (such as the Armed Forces Military Institute) and foreign institutions (mostly academies in Russia and Kazakhstan). As of recently, new recruits take their oath of allegiance in a ceremony on Victory Square, Bishkek.
In 2015, a new version of the general uniform was presented to the National Guard. The official color of the National Guard is dark turquoise, which is reflected in its uniform. The summer uniform is a dark turquoise tunic worn over a buttoned shirt and tie, which are worn alongside trousers of the same color, as well as boots, white gloves and a hat. On the other hand, the winter uniform consists of a grey overcoat that is worn over the regular uniform while a traditional Russian Ushanka hat is worn.
July 20 marks the Day of the National Guard (Kyrgyz: Улуттук гвардия күнү, Russian: День Национальной Гвардии) is the official professional holiday for the National Guard. The holiday coincides with the founding of the National Guard by President Akayev on this date in 1992.
List of leadersEdit
- Abdygul Chotbaev (1992 – August 24, 2005)
- Sultan Kurmanov (September 2005 – May 25, 2006)
- Asanbek Alymkozhoev (May 25, 2006 – 2009)
- Asanbek Alymkozhoev (July 24, 2013 – February 6, 2014)
- Melis Satybaldiev (February 22, 2014 – May 12, 2016)
- Melis Satybaldiev (May 12, 2016 - June 16, 2016)
- Mirbek Kasymkulov (June 16, 2016 – February 11, 2017)
- Almazbek Karasartov (February 11, 2017 – January 19, 2019)
- Talantbek Ergeshov (January 19, 2019 – Present)
The Commander of the National Guard is the de facto head of the national guard and the highest-ranking officer in the branch. Moreover, he/she is a member of the General Staff and reports directly to its chief.
- "Kyrgyzstan gets national guard, Soviet troops selling uniforms". UPI. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "calendr.net/holiday/1099". calendr.net. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "Национальной гвардии Кыргызстана исполнилось 25 лет". m.ru.sputnik.kg (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "К юбилею Нацгвардии. Им можно доверить нашу безопасность". Информационное Агентство Кабар (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- Sputnik. "Нацгвардия КР снимает почетный караул у флагштока на площади Ала-Тоо". ru.sputnik.kg (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Почетный караул на страже поста №1 на площади Ала-Тоо". m.ru.sputnik.kg. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "Нацгвардии Кыргызстана - 25 лет". mir24.tv. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "Kyrgyz President Dismisses National Guard Commander". www.rferl.org. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Начальник Генерального штаба Вооруженных Сил КР - Министерство обороны Кыргызской Республики". 2014-07-24. Archived from the original on 2014-07-24. Retrieved 2017-09-14.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Мелис Сатыбалдиев освобожден от должности командующего Нацгвардией - Новости из Кыргызстана – Новости из Кыргызстана – АКИpress". kg.akipress.org. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "Президент назначил командующего Нацгвардией". vb.kg. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- SHAMSUTDINOV, by Rinat (2016-06-16). "Mirbek Kasymkulov appointed Commander of National Guard". 24.kg (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- MOKRENKO, Anastasia (2017-02-13). "Armed Forces of Kyrgyzstan have personnel changes". 24.kg (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-09-14.