National Democratic Coalition (Liberia)
The National Democratic Coalition is a coalition of Liberian political parties formed in 2011 to contest the 2011 presidential and legislative elections. The original members of the coalition were the New Deal Movement (NDM), the National Patriotic Party (NPP), the National Democratic Party of Liberia (NDPL), the Liberian People's Party (LPP), the United People's Party (UPP), the Liberia Equal Rights Party (LERP), the Labor Party of Liberia (LPL). the Free Democratic Party (FDP), the Majority Party of Liberia (MAPOL) and the National Democratic Movement for Industrial Change (NADMIC).
|Political position||Centre-left to left-wing|
|Seats in the Senate|
1 / 30
|Seats in the House|
5 / 73
On 12 February 2011, New Deal nominated Dew Mayson, a former Liberian ambassador and university professor, as its standard bearer, and NDC had been expected to nominate Mayson as its presidential candidate. However, New Deal suspended Mayson as its standard bearer on 6 July 2011 following for unspecified reasons, only to later reinstate him in less than a week later. Mayson later told reporters that there was an internal debate within the NDC over whether to contest the presidential election or to solely field candidates for the legislative elections. The day prior to the NDC's convention, the NPP and the NDPL withdrew from the coalition, and on 17 July, the remaining members of the coalition nominated Mayson as their presidential candidate.
- "Prof. Dew Mayson Accepts New Deal Party Nomination". The 1847 Post. February 22, 2011. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Stewart, Gboko J. (July 1, 2011). "Jewel or Korto - Who Will Dew Mayson Pick? Democratic Coalition Heads to Convention". FrontPageAfrica. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Kolleh, David (July 6, 2011). "Suspension in the Air: Political Maneuvering Rocks Dew Mayson's Presidential bid". FrontPageAfrica. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Daygbor, E. J. Nathaniel (July 15, 2011). "Dew Mayson Admits Division". The New Dawn. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Kolleh, David (July 17, 2011). "NDC Falling Apart? NPP, NDPL Walk Out as Once-Heralded Coalition Weakens". FrontPageAfrica. Retrieved July 17, 2011.