National Car Rental
National Car Rental is an American rental car agency based in Clayton, Missouri, United States. National is owned by Enterprise Holdings, along with other agencies including Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and Alamo Rent a Car.
Go National, go like a pro
|Founded||August 27, 1947|
|Headquarters||Clayton, Missouri, U.S.|
In 1995, National was owned by an investment group containing William Lobeck of Tulsa, Alvin Swanner of New Orleans, and Archer McWhorter of Houston. Lobeck was a former president of Chrysler's car rental unit and a former owner of Thrifty Rent A Car, a competitor of National. It was later sold in 1995 at an estimated price of $1 billion.
In 1996, National acquired the Canadian fleet and operations of Tilden Rent-a-Car.
In 1996, National was acquired by Republic Industries (later renamed AutoNation). AutoNation spun off its car rental properties as ANC Rental in 2000. ANC filed for bankruptcy a year later; its properties were sold to Vanguard Automotive Group (controlled by Cerberus Capital Management) in 2003. On August 1, 2007 Enterprise Rent-A-Car assumed control of Vanguard Automotive Group.
- Deutsch, Claudia H. (1987-10-11). "At Car Rental Companies, the Owners Come and Go". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Bryant, Adam (1995-04-05). "G.M. Agrees To Sell Car Rental Unit". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Bagli, Charles V. (1996-11-08). "In Alamo Deal, Republic Puts More Money On Used Cars". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Car Rental Spinoff By AutoNation Is Set". The New York Times. 2000-05-31. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Stieghorst, Tom (2003-08-07). "Judge Approves Sale Of Anc Assets". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- Thomas Jr., Landon (2007-03-31). "Enterprise Rent-a-Car Buys Vanguard, a Rival". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-09-02.