Nation Radio Wales
Nation Radio Wales is a regional radio station, broadcasting to south and west Wales on FM and across Wales on DAB. It is owned and operated by Nation Broadcasting and broadcasts from studios near the St Hilary transmitter on the outskirts of Cowbridge.
|Slogan||Love Music, Love Wales|
|Format||Mainstream pop and guitar music|
First air date
|29 November 2007|
The station's music playlist originally consisted of new and classic guitar-led music, reflecting the franchise won originally by XFM, but in 2015, the format was changed to a broader format including mainstream pop music.
Nation Radio began broadcasting on 16 June 2008, taking over the regional Ofcom broadcasting licence, which was held by XFM South Wales until GCap Media sold the station to Town and Country (now Nation Broadcasting) on 30 May 2008.
In 2013, Nation Radio increased its coverage area via DAB - it began broadcasting to north-east Wales and parts of Cheshire and Merseyside in March, via MuxCo's Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool multiplex. In August, the station launched in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire via the Muxco Mid and West Wales multiplex.
In December 2018, OFCOM gave the station's owners permission to replace sister station Radio Ceredigion with a relay of Nation. Five months later, it was reported Nation had decided to retain the local service and would request to reverse its decision on the station's format. In May 2019, Nation Broadcasting withdrew its request and Radio Ceredigion was replaced by a relay of Nation Radio Wales as originally planned.
Local news bulletins air hourly from 6am-6pm on weekdays (with headlines at 6.30, 7.30, and 8.30 during The More Music Breakfast) and from 8am to midday at weekends. As of June 2016, the station's news bulletins are provided by independent company Radio NewsHub in Leeds.
Nation Radio's main transmitter is at the well-positioned Wenvoe site near Cardiff, broadcasting on 106.80MHz, serving Cardiff, Newport, the Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales Valleys, Monmouthshire, the Brecon Beacons and the Gower A.O.N.B. Unofficially, the 106.80MHz frequency from Wenvoe also serves Bristol, Gloucestershire and parts of Somerset, Wiltshire and Herefordshire.
Kilvey Hill serves the Swansea area on 107.30MHz albeit with a very small coverage area, Carmel serves Carmarthenshire on 102.9MHz, Preseli serves Pembrokeshire on 107.1MHz and Blaenplwyf serves Cardigan on 103.30MHz.
- "Adertise". Nation Radio. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
Nation Radio is all about Wales with our strapline of Love Music – Love Wales...
- WalesOnline: Channel Xfm radio changes hands. Icwales.icnetwork.co.uk (2 June 2008). Retrieved on 31 December 2011.
- Shepherd, Rob (30 May 2008). "GCap sells Xfm South Wales". Broadcast. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- "XFM South Wales sold". Radio Today. 30 May 2008. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- "Xfm south Wales: GCap sells station to Town and Country Broadcasting", ''Media. The Guardian. Retrieved on 31 December 2011.
- "Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool". MuxCo. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Listen to Nation in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, Nation Radio Wales/
- Our DAB transmisisons in North East Wales are changing soon, Nation Radio Wales
- Nation requests Radio Ceredigion to continue in Format u-turn, Radio Today, 12 April 2019
- Radio Ceredigion withdraws format change request, Radio Today, 31 May 2019
- Nation Radio current schedule
- Nation Broadcasting signs deal with Radio NewsHub, RadioToday, 3 June 2016