Nathan Greno is an American film director, story artist and writer best known as the co-director of the 2010 animated film Tangled.
March 22, 1975 |
|Alma mater||Columbus College of Art and Design|
|Occupation||Director, story artist, writer|
Inspired by Disney films since the first grade, Greno started as a young boy writing and drawing comic books and strips. In 1996, during his junior year at Columbus College of Art and Design, he was hired by Walt Disney Feature Animation. He started there as an animation cleaner on Mulan (1998). Being creatively unfulfilled, he switched to story development. He then contributed as a story artist on Brother Bear (2003), wrote a screenplay and worked as a story artist on Meet the Robinsons (2007), and supervised the story on Bolt (2008). With the short film Super Rhino (2009), he made his directorial debut. In 2006, he took over a long-in-development project Tangled and chose Byron Howard, with whom he had collaborated on Bolt and Super Rhino, as a directing partner. The film was released in 2010 to a great critical and financial reception, and was followed in 2012 by Greno and Howard-directed short film Tangled Ever After.
Greno had most recently been directing an animated film titled Gigantic. Loosely based on the fairy tale of "Jack and the Beanstalk", it was scheduled for a 2020 release. However, in October 2017, it was announced that the film had been shelved. In February 2018, it was announced that Greno had signed a multiyear contract with Skydance Media to direct an animated film provisionally titled Powerless, as well as consult on projects in development.
- Big Hero 6 (2014) (creative advisor)
- Frozen (2013) (additional story artist)
- Tangled Ever After (2012) (co-director; writer; voice of Maximus, a guard, & Stabbington Brothers)
- Tangled (2010) (co-director; voice of a guard and a thug)
- Super Rhino (2009) (director, writer)
- Bolt (2008) (head of story; additional voice)
- Meet the Robinsons (2007) (screenplay writer; story artist; voice of Lefty)
- Chicken Little (2005) (additional story artist)
- Brother Bear (2003) (story artist)
- Mulan (1998) (Clean-Up; Mushu)
- Happenings, April 7, 2011
- Grossberg, Michael (September 16, 2012). "Hollywood studios brimming with talent honed in Columbus". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- Desowitz, Bill (November 19, 2010). "Nathan Greno & Byron Howard Talk 'Tangled'". Animation World Network. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- Khatchatourian, Maane (August 14, 2015). "Disney Announces Jack and the Beanstalk Animated Movie 'Gigantic'". Variety. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (October 10, 2017). "Disney Shelves 'Jack and the Beanstalk' Film 'Gigantic' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (February 22, 2018). "Skydance Media Taps 'Tangled's Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct 'Powerless'". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 22, 2018.