Natalia Gastiain Tena (born 1 November 1984) is an English actress and musician. She played Nymphadora Tonks in the Harry Potter film series, and the wildling Osha in the HBO series Game of Thrones.
Tena in June 2012
1 November 1984 |
Tena is the lead singer and accordionist of Molotov Jukebox. The band released their debut album Carnival Flower (2014), in Spring 2014, featuring their single "Neon Lights". Their second studio album, Tropical Gypsy (2016), was released on 15 April 2016 and was preceded by its lead single, "Pineapple Girl". It was promoted on the band's Tropical Gypsy Tour in April and May 2016.
Natalia Gastiain Tena was born in London the daughter of Spanish parents María, a secretary, and Jesús, a carpenter. She is of Extremaduran descent on her mother's side and Basque descent on her father's side. She is fluent in English, Spanish and Basque. She studied at the boarding school, Bedales.
Tena was taught the piano by her mother at five years old, influenced by Chuck Berry's music. Afterwards, at 18, Natalia moved back to London and busked on the London Underground. While working with a theatre group called KneeHigh, where they were allowed to pick an instrument to play, Tena decided to learn the accordion.
Natalia made her professional debut as Ellie in About a Boy (2002), and began acting full-time in 2003. She has played lead roles in stage adaptations of Gone to Earth in 2004, and Nights at the Circus in 2006.
In 2007, Natalia appeared in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix playing the character Nymphadora Tonks. Natalia reprised this role in its sequels Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, in 2009, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 in 2010 and Part 2 in 2011.
She hosted a behind-the-scenes featurette entitled "Trailing Tonks" for the subsequent DVD and Blu-ray release, and is credited as producer and director of the featurette, in which she also performs an original Christmas-themed blues song on guitar, which she composed while working as a busker on the London Underground.
In 2011 she played a lead role in the Scottish Film You Instead. She also appears as Osha in HBO's Game of Thrones. In March 2013, she starred in the official music video for Lapalux's single "Without You (ft. Kerry Leatham)".
Film and televisionEdit
|2004||Gone to Earth||Hazel||Shared Experience/ UK tour|
|2005||Bronte||Cathy/ Bertha Mason|
|2006||Nights at the Circus||Fevvers||Kneehigh Theatre/UK tour|
|2008||The Clean House||Matilde||UK tour|
|2009||Othello||Desdemona||Royal Shakespeare Company/ UK tour|
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- "NATALIA TENA EL EMBRUJO DEL FÉNIX" Nuevo Herald – 13 July 2007
- natalia tena audio interview - YouTube
- "Spanish actress lands role in 'Potter' film" 14 July 2007
- Harry Potter And A Game Of Thrones' Natalia Tena Video Interview - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News
- "Trailing Tonks" (2007), a featurette on the DVD release of Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
- George R.R. Martin's blog Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Molotov Jukebox' Natalia Tena Talks Game Of Thrones And Getting Dumped For The First Time". Famemagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- Lapalux's official music video for "Without You (ft. Kerry Leatham)", taken from his debut album Nostalchic
- "Wisdom Of The Crowd': Natalia Tena & Jake Matthews Join CBS Drama Pilot". Deadline.com. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- CBS.com http://www.cbs.com/shows/wisdom-of-the-crowd/cast/215671/. Retrieved 6 August 2017. Missing or empty
- Interview with Natalia Tena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOy6pcJrdA