Her research focuses on the interaction between group-membership and individual affect and cognition. It considers why and how individuals take on group membership, and their interaction with members of those groups.
- Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy (2014).
- Spinoza Prize (2010).
- KNAW Merian Award for women in science (2010).
- Nominated for the 'Rosabeth Moss Kanter Award for Excellence in Work-Family Research', (2009).
- Kurt Lewin Award, European Association of Social Psychology, for significant and sustained contributions to the science of social psychology (2008).,
- Honorary International Fellow, American Psychological Society (2002).
- Jaspars Award, European Association of Experimental Social Psychology, for early scientific achievement (1990).
- Neuroscience of prejudice and intergroup relations. Edited by Belle Derks, Daan Scheepers, and Naomi Ellemers. New York, Psychology Press, 2013. ISBN 978-1-84872-641-3
- Social identity. Context, commitment, content. Edited by Naomi Ellemers, Russell Spears and Bertjan Doosje. Oxford, Blackwell, 1999. ISBN 0-631-20691-4
- Numerous journal articles
- "Ellemers CV" (PDF). Naomi Ellemers. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Ellemers at Utrecht University, accessed 26 Nov. 2015
- "Naomi Ellemers" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "British Academy announces 42 new fellows". Times Higher Education. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Prof. N. (Naomi) Ellemers". Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "First KNAW Merian Prize awarded to psychologist Naomi Ellemers — English". The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Purdue University - Center for Families". Perdue University Center for Families. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "EASP - Activities: Kurt Lewin Awards". European Association of Social Psychology. 2014-07-16. Archived from the original on 2014-08-09. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "EASP - Activities: Jos Jaspars Awards". European Association of Social Psychology. Archived from the original on 2014-08-09. Retrieved 2014-07-21.