The Nanjing–Xi'an railway or Ningxi railway (simplified Chinese: 宁西铁路; traditional Chinese: 寧西鐵路; pinyin: níngxī tiělù), is a major trunkline railroad in China between Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu Province and Xi'an, the capital of Shaanxi Province. The Chinese name for the line, Ningxi, is named after the two terminal cities, Ning, the Chinese character shorthand for the city of Nanjing, and Xi for Xian. The line is 1,196 km (743 mi) in length and comprises the Xi’an-Hefei section in the west, 1,196 km (743 mi) in length, that opened on January 7, 2004, and the high-speed Hefei–Nanjing section in the east, better known as the Hefei–Nanjing passenger railway, 166 km (103 mi) in length, that opened on April 18, 2008. In addition, a connection line 72 km (45 mi) in length was built in 2004 between the main line in Sui County and the Hankou–Danjiangkou railway in northern Hubei. The Ningxi railway passes through five provinces in central and eastern China. Major cities along route include Nanjing and Pukou in Jiangsu Province; Feidong, Hefei and Lu'an in Anhui Province; Huangchuan, Xinyang, Nanyang and Xixia County in Henan Province and Shangluo, Weinan and Xian in Shaanxi Province. The main line skirts Hubei Province near Sui County.
|Nanjing–Xi'an railway |
|Other name(s)||Ningxi railway|
|Locale|| People's Republic of China|
|Operator(s)||China Railway Shanghai Group|
China Railway Zhengzhou Group
China Railway Xi'an Group
China Railway Lanzhou Group
|Line length||1,076 km (669 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in)|
Since the completion of Shanghai-Wuhan-Chengdu Corridor, of which Hefei-Nanjing section of this line is a part, the remaining part of this line is often called "Hefei-Xi'an Railway".
Planning of the Nanjing-Xian railway began in early 1990s to bring railway service to a 400–500 km void in China's railway network between the Longhai railway to the north and Xiangyu and Handan railways to the south. Construction began in 2000 and the Xi'an-Hefei section of the line entered into operation on January 7, 2004. The high-speed, double-track Hefei-Nanjing section, also known as the Hefei–Nanjing railway, which was built from 2005 to 2008, opened on April 18, 2008 and forms part of the Shanghai–Wuhan–Chengdu passenger railway.
The construction of the second track of the Xi'an-Hefei section officially started in December 2012. The Shaanxi section opened on December 11, 2015, the Hubei section opened on December 15, 2015, and the Henan section and Anhui section opened on December 21, 2015.
The newly constructed double track uses continuously-welded track.
The line has been partly electrified. Electrification was completed between Nanjing and Yeji on 8 December 2015.
The Ningxi railway is a major trunkline in China's railway network and connects with numerous other railway lines including:
- Nanjing: Beijing–Shanghai railway, Nanjing–Tongling railway, Nanjing–Qidong railway, Shanghai–Nanjing intercity railway
- Hefei: Hefei–Wuhan railway, Huainan railway
- Nanyang: Jiaozuo–Liuzhou railway
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nanjing-Xi'an Railway.|
- "宁西铁路西安到合肥段通车 西安到上海缩短400多公里" (in Chinese). January 7, 2004.
- "合宁铁路今天通车运营". Anhuinews.com (in Chinese). April 18, 2008. Archived from the original on April 25, 2012. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "中国铁路线". P39 (in Chinese). Retrieved July 31, 2011.
- "国家重点工程宁西铁路即将开通客运运营" [Ningxi Railway, a national key project, will soon open passenger transportation operations]. People's Network (in Chinese). 14 April 2006. Archived from the original on 6 March 2010. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- "宁西铁路二线陕西段贯通 西安至张家界将直通" [The Shaanxi section of the second line of the Ningxi Railway runs from Xi'an to Zhangjiajie and will be directly connected]. China National Radio (in Chinese). 16 December 2015. Archived from the original on 6 March 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- "国家重点工程宁西铁路二线陕西段顺利开通_图片_中国政府网" [The National Key Project Ningxi Railway Second Line Shaanxi Section was successfully opened] (in Chinese). China Government Net. 11 December 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- "宁西铁路增建二线河南段、安徽段开通 - 行业 - 人民铁道网 - 中国官方铁路门户" [Henan Section and Anhui Section of the Second Line of Ningxi Railway were opened] (in Chinese). People's Rail Network. 29 December 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- "宁西铁路二线既有线长钢轨换铺方案已经通过审查" [The Ningxi Railway Second Line's existing long rail replacement plan has passed the review] (in Chinese). China Internet Information Center. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- "宁西铁路安徽段接触网工程在全线率先送电成功" [The contact network project of Anhui section of Ningxi Railway was the first to successfully transmit electricity on the whole line] (in Chinese). People's Rail Network. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2020.