Nancy Reid Gibbs (born January 25, 1960) is an American essayist and former managing editor for Time magazine, a best-selling author and commentator on politics and values in the United States. She is the co-author with Michael Duffy of The New York Times Bestsellers The Preacher and the Presidents: Billy Graham in the White House (2007) and The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity (2012).
Gibbs at the LBJ Presidential Library, 2012
|Born||Nancy Reid Gibbs|
January 25, 1960 (age 59)
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Essayist, writer, editor|
Life and careerEdit
Gibbs was born in New York, the daughter of Janet (née Stang), who worked at Friends Seminary, and Howard Glenn Gibbs, who was the associate national director for the Boys Clubs of America. She graduated from Yale University in 1982, summa cum laude, with honors in history. She studied at New College, Oxford as a Marshall Scholar (M.A. in Politics, Philosophy and Economics).
She joined TIME in 1985 as a part-time fact checker in the International section. She became a writer in 1988 and has written more than 100 cover stories, including the black-bordered special issue on the September 11 attacks, which won a National Magazine Award in 2002. The Chicago Tribune named her one of the ten best magazine writers in the country in 2003; her articles are included in the Princeton Anthology of Writing, Best American Crime Writing 2004, Best American Political Writing 2005 and TIME: 85 years of Great Writing. She has been a frequent guest on radio and television talk shows, including the Today Show, Good Morning America, Charlie Rose, and a guest essayist on the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.
Awards and honorsEdit
- "Gibbs, Nancy 1960–". Contemporary Authors. 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2018 – via Encyclopedia.com.
- "WEDDINGS; Nancy Reid Gibbs and Waits May 3d". The New York Times. June 21, 1992.
- "Paid Notice: Deaths GIBBS, HOWARD G". The New York Times. April 25, 2002.
- Gibbs, Nancy (September 14, 2001). "If You Want To Humble An Empire". Time.
- PBS Online, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer - aired on August 3, 2006
- PBS Online, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer - aired on May 28, 2008
- Maza, Erik (17 September 2013). "Nancy Gibbs Named Time's Managing Editor". WWD. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Ember, Sydney (2017-09-12). "Nancy Gibbs, Time Magazine's Top Editor, Is Stepping Down". New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Ron Charles (May 15, 2013). "Timothy Egan wins Chautauqua Prize for "Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher"". Washington Post. Retrieved September 26, 2013.