This biographical article is written like a résumé. (January 2017)
Nam-Trung Nguyen (born 14 April 1970) is a researcher on the fields of Microfluidics and Nanofluidics. He is notable for his work on nerve agent detector, PCR, Micromixer, Droplet-based Microfluidics and Micro Magnetofluidics. He is currently a Professor and Director of Queensland Micro and Nanotechnology Centre at Griffith University. He was a former Associate Professor at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
|Known for||Sarin detector, PCR, Micromixer, Droplet-Based Microfluidics, Micro Magnetofluidics|
Nanyang Technological University
|Academic advisors||Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfram Dötzel|
Nam-Trung received his Dip-Ing, Dr Ing and Dr Ing Habil degrees from Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany, in 1993, 1997 and 2004, respectively. The habilitation degree (Dr Ing Habil) is the respected qualification for a full professorship in Germany. During his 10-year stay in Germany, he also worked for Robert Bosch GmbH, the industry leader in micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) for automotive applications. He contributed to the development of the MEMS-based fuel injection systems as well as sensing systems for pressure and mass flow rate. In 1998, he was a postdoctoral research engineer in the Berkeley Sensor and Actuator Center (University of California at Berkeley, United States).
His research is focused on microfluidics, nanofluidics, micro/nanomachining technologies, micro/nanoscale science, and instrumentation for biomedical applications. He published over 400 journal papers and filed 8 patents, of which 3 were granted. Among the books he has written, the first, second and third editions of the bestseller “Fundamentals and Applications of Microfluidics” co-authored with S. Wereley were published in 2002, 2006 and 2019, respectively. His latest book “Nanofluidics” was published in 2009. The second edition of the book "Micromixer" was acquired and published by Elsevier in 2011.
Nam-Trung is the First Runner Up of Inaugural ProSPER.Net-Scopus Young Scientist Awards in Sustainable Development in 2009 and the Runner Up of ASAIHL-Scopus Young Scientist Awards in 2008. He is a Fellow of ASME and a Member of IEEE.
The following is the full list of his achievements:
- Nguyen, Nam-Trung (2011). Micromixers: Fundamentals, Design and Fabrication (2nd ed.). Elsevier. ISBN 9781437735215.
- Nguyen, Nam-Trung; Abgrall, Patrick (2009). Nanofluidics. Artech House. ISBN 9781596933507.
- Nguyen, Nam-Trung (2009). "Micropumping and microvalving". In Jeffrey D. Zahn (ed.). Methods in Bioengineering: Biomicrofabrication and Biomicrofluidics. Boston: Artech House. ISBN 9781596934009.
- Nguyen, Nam-Trung; Wu, Zhigang (2005). "Micromixers—a review". Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering. 15 (2): R1–R16. doi:10.1088/0960-1317/15/2/R01.
- Nguyen, Nam-Trung; Wereley, Steven T. (2006). Fundamentals And Applications of Microfluidics (2nd ed.). Artech House. ISBN 9781580539722.
- Nerve agent detector on a chip
- Magnetic force drives device
- Nam-Trung Nguyen, Micromixers-Fundamentals, Design and Fabrication
- Thermally mediated droplet formation in microchannels
- Micro-magnetofluidics: interactions between magnetism and fluid flow on the microscale
- "ASME Fellows". Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "ARC College of Experts Members". Archived from the original on 2014-09-24. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- Nam-Trung's SMART profile 2012[permanent dead link]