Abu Ruwaym Ibn ʽAbd ar-Rahman Ibn Abi Naʽim al-Laythi (Arabic: أبو رويم بن عبدالرحمن بن أبي النعيم الليثي)(70-169AH), better known as Nafiʽ al-Madani, was one of the transmitters of the seven canonical Qira'at, or methods of reciting the Qur'an. Outside of Egypt, his method of Qur'an recitation is the most popular in Africa in general, and his chain of narration returning to the companions of the Islamic prophet Muhammad is well-attested.
|Other names||Abu Ruwaym Ibn ʽAbd ar-Rahman Ibn Abi Naʽim al-Laythi|
His method of recitation via his two most famous students, Qalun and Warsh, is the most common Quran reading mode in North Africa, West Africa and Qatar. He had a total of four canonical transmitters of his recitation; in addition to Qalun and Warsh, he also transmitted his reading to Isma'il bin Ja'far al-Ansari and Ishaq bin Muhammad al-Musayyabi. Nafi's style of reading became so popular that it eventually eclipsed that of his teachers in Medina.
Ten readers and transmittersEdit
- Nafi‘ al-Madani
- Ibn Kathir al-Makki
- Abu 'Amr ibn al-'Ala'
- Ibn Amir ad-Dimashqi
- Aasim ibn Abi al-Najud
- Hamzah az-Zaiyyat
- Abu Ja'far
- Ya'qub al-Yamani
- Scott C. Lucas, Al-Dhahabi's Vision of Sunni Hadith Scholarship, p. 71. Taken from Constructive Critics, Ḥadīth Literature, and the Articulation of Sunnī Islam: The Legacy of the Generation of Ibn Saʻd, Ibn Maʻīn, and Ibn Ḥanbal. Leiden: Brill Publishers, 2004. ISBN 9789004133198
- Muhammad Ghoniem and MSM Saifullah, The Ten Readers & Their Transmitters. (c) Islamic Awareness. Updated January 8, 2002; accessed April 11, 2016.
- Cyril Glasse, The New Encyclopedia of Islam, p. 268. Intr. by Huston Smith. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2003. ISBN 9780759101906
- Peter G. Riddell, Early Malay Qur'anic exegical activity, p. 164. Taken from Islam and the Malay-Indonesian World: Transmission and Responses. London: C. Hurst & Co., 2001. ISBN 9781850653363
- Shady Hekmat Nasser, Ibn Mujahid and the Canonization of the Seven Readings, p. 57. Taken from The Transmission of the Variant Readings of the Qur'an: The Problem of Tawaatur and the Emergence of Shawaadhdh. Leiden: Brill Publishers, 2012. ISBN 9789004240810
- Shady Nasser, Canonization, p. 39.
- Shady Nasser, Canonization, p. 135.