Nabi Tajima (田島 ナビ Tajima Nabi, 4 August 1900 – 21 April 2018) was a Japanese supercentenarian who was the world's oldest living person from 16 September 2017, until her own death, and the last surviving person to have been born in the 19th century. She remains the oldest recorded Japanese and Asian person in history and the world's third oldest person ever to be validated by modern standards, behind Jeanne Calment and Sarah Knauss.
|Native name||田島 ナビ|
4 August 1900|
Wan Village, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan
(now Kikai, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan)
21 April 2018|
(aged 117 years, 260 days)
Kikai, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan
Tajima was born in Araki, an area which was then Wan Village, in the westernmost part of Kikaijima Island. From February 2002 until her death, she resided in a nursing home named "Kikaien" (喜界園) in Kikai, Kagoshima.
Her husband, Tominishi Tajima (田島 富二子), died in 1991 at the age of 95 according to some sources, or possibly 1992 or 1993 according to others. She had nine children (seven sons and two daughters). In September 2017 she was reported as having around 160 descendants, including great-great-great-grandchildren.
Tajima became the oldest living person in Japan on 27 September 2015, upon the death of a 115-year-old anonymous woman who was living in Tokyo. Violet Brown died on 15 September 2017 in Jamaica (UTC-5). In Japan, where Tajima lived, the date was already 16 September 2017 (JST), and Tajima became the oldest living person in the world—and the last surviving person born in the 19th century. On 10 April 2018, Nabi Tajima became the world's third oldest person ever due to surpassing the final age of Lucy Hannah. Others have claimed to be older, but none of these claims have been sufficiently validated.
She stated that her longevity was due to sleeping soundly and eating delicious food.
- Schumann, Rebecka (9 June 2014). "Misao Okawa, The World's Oldest Woman, And 39 Other Female Supercentenarians". International Business Times. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Worlds oldest age 117-year-old Tashima Navi died".
- Guinness World Records 2015. Guinness World Records. 11 September 2014. p. 77. ISBN 978-1-9088-4370-8.
- 世界最高齢、１１７歳女性死去＝最後の１８００年代生まれ－伊 (in Japanese)
- "Japanese woman becomes 3rd oldest person in history". BNO News. 9 April 2018. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- 117歳 世界一へ県民栄誉検討 田島ナビさんを知事訪問 鹿児島県喜界町 (in Japanese)
- "「ナビばあちゃんちばりよー」／喜界町の田島さんに県祝い状" ["Grandma Nabi" - Kikai City holds provincial celebration for Mrs. Tajima] (in Japanese). 16 September 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- 子孫１４０人…発酵飲料好み、よく食べ 国内最高齢１１７歳の田島ナビさん (in Japanese)
- "国内最高齢の１１５歳女性が死去" [Oldest Person in Japan 115yo Woman Dies] (in Japanese). 28 September 2015. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- World’s oldest person dies, giving title to Japanese supercentenarian
- "Japanese woman becomes 5th oldest person in history". BNO News. 10 February 2018. Archived from the original on 10 February 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- Giappone, morta nonna Nabi Tajima: era la più vecchia del mondo (in Italian)
- "World's oldest person dies in Japan at age 117". CBS NEWS.