Naamkarann (transl. Naming ceremony) is an Indian drama television series which premiered 12 September 2016 on Star Plus, replacing Diya Aur Baati Hum. Inspired by the 1998 Bollywood film Zakhm, it was based on the life of filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt.
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||463|
|Executive producer||Aayush Agrawal|
|Running time||21 minutes|
|Production company||Dhaval and Guroudev Productions Pvt. Ltd|
|Original network||Star Plus|
|Original release||12 September 2016 –|
18 May 2018
The show initially starred child actor Arsheen Naamdaar as Avni Ayesha, besides Viraf Patel, Barkha Sengupta and Reema Lagoo from September 2016 to March 2017. It then took a fifteen year-leap and focused on Avni Ayesha (Aditi Rathore) and Neil Khanna (Zain Imam). In May 2017, Ragini Shah replaced Reema Lagoo due to the latter's death. The show ended on 18 May 2018 completing 463 episodes.
Avni Ayesha Mehta, a 9-year-old girl, lives with her mother, Ayesha Haider. Avni's father, Ashish Mehta is a famous filmmaker who meets them in secret because of his mother, Dayawanti Mehta; a deeply religious yet corrupt Hindu woman who hates Ayesha due to the fact that she is a Muslim.
Dayawanti rejects Avni at every step determined for Ashish to break his relations with Ayesha and her family; in her eyes, she (delusively) believes that unless she and her entire family accept Ashish's marriage to Ayesha, it is considered illegitimate; which is the complete opposite. Ashish is forced to marry Neela Parikh, a good-hearted and kind woman, who Avni befriends. Unlike Ashish, Neela is no coward; as she stands up to against Dayawanti to fight for Avni's rights and get justice for her. Ayesha later gets pregnant and delivers her and Ashish's son, Aman. Dayawanti murders Ayesha in the hospital and takes Aman away, naming him Amol.
Dayawanti manipulates an emotionally distraught Ashish into believing that Avni killed Ayesha. Ashish believing Dayawanti, as well as the evidence that she has fabricated, sends Avni to prison. Neela breaks her out of prison and decides to leave India with Avni, in order to come up with a plan to clear Avni's name and expose Dayawanti as Ayesha's actual murderer.
Neela divorces Ashish after realising that he is worthless and he was proven to be unworthy of her love. Ashish's sister, Diksha murdered Neela's father and Diksha tries to kill Neela also when she gets to know that she has discovered the same truth. Dayawanti tricks Avni into meeting her alone and shoots her, but Neela saves her.
15 years laterEdit
Avni now a young woman, who has grown up under the name "Ananya Verma" and lives with Neela. She steals money from rich people and donates it to hospitals. ACP Neil Khanna is recruited to find out her identity. Avni's childhood best friend, Ali has become an owner of a café and also Neil's best friend. After first meeting, Neil and Avni become closer over time and eventually unknowingly develop romantic feelings for each other. Neil's parents Prakash and Shweta arranges his alliance with Avni's cousin, Riya. Ali meets Avni, but he thinks that she is Ananya. Soon, he finds out that Ananya is Avni and helps her.
Meanwhile, Aman has grown into an arrogant and spoiled brat. In drunk state, Aman accidentally hits Neil with his car, later, when he discovers that Avni had witnessed him, Aman kidnaps Neela in order to prevent Avni from testifying against them in court that he was driving well in a drunk state, even threatens to kill her adopted mother, if she does so, unfortunately, this attempt backfired; as Avni reports his crimes to Neil.
Later, Neil starts to investigate Avni, due to the fact that he has been constantly lying to Neil and keeping secrets from him, his investigation leads him to suspect that she is in fact Avni Ayesha Mehta who supposedly died 15 years ago. Neil gets Ananya's piece of hair to DNA test, after running the DNA sample, it test positive; confirming Neil's suspicions that Ananya is in fact Avni. Meanwhile, In order to prevent the Mehta family from getting their hands on the Khanna family's money, as well as to prevent them from ruining Neil's life and to prevent Dayawanti from leaving the country with Aman, Avni gets married to Neil, taking Riya's place. Neela sees loves and care for Avni in Neil's eyes thus; believes the marriage is the best decision for Avni preventing her from becoming a criminal. Neil starts developing a soft corner for Avni, after Neela tells him about the torment that Avni was force to endure as a child; because of Dayawanti and her family.
It is revealed that Ashish had discovered that Dayawanti was the one who killed Ayesha and framed Avni for this crime, as he had found photos of her suffocating Ayesha to death with a pillow. Enraged Ashish was going to hand Dayawanti over to the police for Ayesha's murder, Dayawanti and Ketan tried to stop him from sending her to prison, but during this confrontation, Ketan accidentally kills Ashish, as Ketan and Dayawanti were horrified by what happened, they both cover up this incident.
Dayawanti is arrested, after she is exposed for murdering Ayesha, framing her granddaughter, Avni and for covering up her son, Ashish's death, Ketan is also arrested for his brother's death; ultimately clearing Avni's name and putting an end to the corrupt members of the Mehta family's reign of terror for good. Neil falls in love with Avni. Aman eventually realizes that Dayawanti has been using him, as a result, Aman changes his ways. Circumstances end in Aman burning Dayawanti alive, which results in her death and him being arrested. Avni forgives Aman and feels proud of him for getting justice for their mother, Ayesha.
Juhi who is Neil's first love comes back to tell Neil about their illegitimate daughter, Mishti who is being held captive by Vidyut. Avni rescues Mishti and they bond. It is then revealed that Mishti is in fact Vidyut's daughter. Avni and Neil find out Juhi's truth and get her to confess. Vidyut makes it look like Avni shot Juhi forcing Neil to put Avni behind bars.
6 months laterEdit
Heartbroken by the accusation of killing Juhi, and the lack of trust between her and Neil, Avni learns combat skills in prison to fight against the crimes she didn't commit. Neil manages to get Vidyut to confess that Avni is innocent. Neela gets shot during a black out at the Khanna house. Avni mourns over Neela's death. Eventually, Avni and Neil consummate their marriage.
Vidyut threatens Avni to marry him in order to save Prakash. Avni decides to burn Vidyut's house. The fire fighters find two dead bodies in the house leaving Avni and Mishti's fate unknown. Avni who escaped from Vidyut's house, erases her everything and leaves with Mishti.
10 years laterEdit
Neil quits his job as a police inspector and the ACP, as he has becomes a radio jockey. Avni has changed her name to "Nilanjana" and dedicates her life to the well-being of illegitimate children in an orphanage named Sukoon house. She takes care of Saisha, who is actually Mishti, along with other orphaned children. Mishti is an aspiring singer and an ardent fan of actor Karan Kapoor. Mishti and Karan eventually fall in love, and get married.
Avni decides to leave the city with her and Neil's son, Mowgli so that Neil can start a new life with Mitali, while Mitali asks Neil to return to Avni as he can only be happy with her. But, Mitali advices Neil to live with Avni and Mowgli. Finally, Avni and Neil reunite.
- Aditi Rathore as Avni Ayesha / Khanna aka Ananya Verma / Nilanjana – Ayesha and Ashish's daughter; Neela's adoptive daughter; Aman's sister; Neil's wife; Mowgli's mother; Mishti's adoptive mother; Jaan didi of children in Sukoon house.(2017–2018)
- Arsheen Naamdaar as Young Avni Ayesha (2016–2017)
- Zain Imam as Neil Khanna – ACP officer turned radio jockey; Shweta and Prakash's son; Avni's husband; Mowgli's father; Mishti's adoptive father (2017–2018)
- Reema Lagoo / Ragini Shah as Dayawanti Mehta – Ashish, Ketan and Diksha's mother; Avni, Aman and Riya's paternal grandmother (2016–2017) (Dead)
- Barkha Sengupta as Ayesha Haider / Asha Mehta – Fatima's daughter; Ashish's wife; Avni and Aman's mother (2016–2017) (Dead)
- Viraf Patel as Ashish Mehta - Dayawanti's son; Kehtan and Diksha's brother; Ayesha's husband, Avni and Aman's father; Neela's ex-husband (2016–2017) (Dead)
- Sayantani Ghosh as Neela Parikh – Ashish's ex-wife; Avni's adoptive mother (2016–2018) (Dead)
- Ritu Vashisht
- Gulfam Khan as Fatima Banu – Ayesha's mother; Avni and Aman's maternal grandmother (2016–2017)
- Jahaan Arora as Dakhal Dayal aka DD – Neil's friend and colleague; A police officer; Sunheri's love interest (2017–2018)
- Gautam Vig as Ali – Avni's childhood best friend; Neil's best friend (2017–2018)
- Shubh Kalra as Young Ali (2016)
- Kunwar Amarjeet Singh as Aladdin/Kabir – Avni's friend (2016)
- Anaya Soni as Hetal Mehta – Ketan's wife; Riya's mother (2016–2017)
- Puru Chibber as Ketan Mehta – Dayawanti's son; Ashish and Diksha's brother; Riya's father (2016–2017)
- Neelam Sivia as Diksha Mehta – Dayawanti's daughter; Ashish and Ketan's sister; Hansmukh's ex-wife (2016–2017)
- Vivek Madan as Hansmukh – Diksha's former husband (2016)
- Nalini Negi as Riya Mehta – Ketan and Hetal's daughter; Avni and Aman's cousin (2017)
- Palak Dey as Young Riya (2016)
- Sushant Mohindru as Aman Mehta aka Amol – Ayesha and Ashish's son; Avni's brother (2017)
- Sanjay Swaraj as Prakash Khanna – Shweta's husband; Neil's father (2017–2018)
- Shruti Ulfat as Shweta Khanna – Prakash's wife; Neil's mother (2017–2018)
- Neelu Kohli as Harleen Khanna – Prakash's mother; Neil's grandmother (2017–2018)
- Poonam Preet as Juhi – Neil's ex-girlfriend; Mishti's mother (2017)
- Karam Rajpal as Vidyut – Ragini's son; Mishti's father; Avni's obsessive lover (2017–2018)
- Soni Singh as Sunehri – Avni's friend and well-wisher (2017–2018)
- Sana Amin Sheikh as Mitali Sharma – A police inspector; Neil's friend (2017–2018)
- Prakriti Nautiyal as Tara – Avni's friend who was a prisoner earlier (2017–2018)
- Pragya Nautiyal as Sitara – Avni's friend who was a prisoner earlier (2017–2018)
- Kabir Shah as Mowgli Khanna aka Pillu – Avni and Neil's son (2018)
- Payal Bhojwani as Mishti "Saisha" Kapoor – Juhi and Vidyut's daughter; Avni and Neil's adoptive daughter; Karan's wife (2018)
- Aayesha Vindhara as Young Mishti (2017–2018)
- Zaan Khan as Karan Kapoor aka "KK" – A film industry's superstar; Mishti's husband (2018)
- Jayati Bhatia as Kamini Kapoor – Karan's mother (2018)
- Bhavesh Balchandani as Samrat – An orphan at Sukoon house (2018)
- Swasti Katyal as Pinki – An orphan who lives with Avni (2018)
- Pawani Sharma as Daisy – An orphan at Sukoon house (2018)
- Mohit Chauhan as Mr. Sharad Kapoor – Karan's father (2018)
- Manini Mishra as Ragini Pandit – Vidyut's mother; leader of a human trafficking racket (2017–2018)
- Priya Tandon as Monica – A prisoner (2017–2018)
- Karan Jagdish Singh as Avni's lawyer (2018)
- Guest Appearances
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2019)
An introduction about the characters and their relationships with other characters in the series;
- Avni Ayesha/Avni Neil Khanna (née Haider/Mehta) - A good-hearted, kind and selfless half-muslim, half-hindu woman who fights for justice against the corrupt views of the society, as well as for her own rights, mainly against her estranged family, the Mehtas who have tried to make her life as miserable as possible since childhood. After Avni's paternal grandmother, kills her mother, Ayesha and frames her for this crime, she makes it a goal to get justice for Ayesha's death and to clear her name. Avni despises anyone who calls her illegitimate (as both of Avni's parents were married; prior to her being conceived) despite the fact that Avni was never born out of wedlock, she has compassion and sympathy for other illegitimate children.
- Neil Khanna - A strict yet good-hearted and kind man who has a strong sense of justice, honor and good morals.
- Dayawanti Mehta - A ruthless, corrupt and selfish woman who will to do anything to maintain her status in the society, as she is loyal to no one but herself, she is also a self-righteous-hypocrite who tried to present herself as a saint and follower of god, but she is none of those things, as she commits despicable acts. Dayawanti despises her granddaughter, Avni for no clear reason; due to the fact she is half-muslim, even going as far as to kill daughter-in-law, Ayesha and frame Avni for the crime. She is later exposed as Ayesha's actual murderer. Dayawanti tries to kill Avni as revenge for humiliation, but this attempt ultimately get a kill by her grandson, Aman who turns against Dayawanti after realising what kind of person she truly is and she does not truly care about him.
- Ayesha Banu (née Mehta) - A good-hearted, kind, selfless and compassionate muslim woman who is despised by her mother-in-law, Dayawanti and most other members of the family for no clear reason; due to her muslim heritage. Shortly after Ayesha gives birth to her son, Aman and coming out of a coma, she is suffocated to death with a pillow by Dayawanti and her death is blamed on her daughter, Avni; but Dayawanti is eventually exposed as Ayesha's actual murderer.
- Ashish Mehta - A filmmaker who is a good-hearted and kind, yet a cowardly and good-for-nothing man who is incapable of doing the right thing, as he never stood up for his daughter, Avni and never fought for her rights or getting justice for his daughter. After Ashish had discovered that Dayawanti was the one who actually killed Ayesha and framed Avni for this crime, he was accidentally killed by his brother, Ketan, as he was going to hand his mother, Dayawanti over to the police for Ayesha's murder, as they were both trying to stop him from sending her to prison.
- Neela Parikh - A good-hearted, kind, compassionate and selfless woman who stands up for her adoptive daughter, Avni, as she fights for Avni's rights and getting justice for her adoptive daughter.
- Fatima Banu - A good-hearted, kind, selfless and compassionate muslim woman who despises Dayawanti and most other members of the family; because of what they did to her daughter, Ayesha and her granddaughter, Avni as a child, but mainly because of their despicable nature.
- Aladdin - A friend of Avni who was trying to help her to discover who murdered her mother, Ayesha.
- Hetal Mehta - A good-hearted, kind and selfless woman.
- Ketan Mehta - A selfish and despicable man who will do anything for money, as he is loyal to no one but himself. Ketan is eventually incarcerated for his role in brother, Ashish's death, the attempted murder he made on Avni's, and for aiding and abetting his mother, Dayawanti in several of her other crimes as well.
- Diksha Mehta - chatterbox, selfish, despicable and mentally unstable woman who will do anything for money, as she is loyal to no one but herself. Diksha is eventually incarcerated for her role in Mr. Parikh's death, the attempted murder she on made on Avni's, and for aiding and abetting her mother, Dayawanti in several of her other crimes as well.
- Ali - A good-hearted, kind, compassionate and selfless man who is the owner of a café and the childhood best friend of Avni; he is loyal friend to Avni, he aids Avni in her goal to clear her name (regarding her for being framed as her mother, Ayesha's murder) and bring down, Dayawanti and the corrupt members of the Mehta family for good.
- Riya Mehta - A former socialite, initially, Riya appears to be a good-hearted, polite and well-mannered woman, but this is soon proven to be a façade, as she is in fact an extremely arrogant, selfless, obnoxious and spoiled brat.
- Prakash Khanna - A good-hearted, kind, selfless and compassionate man, he also has sometimes has a strain relationship with his wife, Shweta; due to her rude and disrespectful traits, as he rarely, if ever agrees with her views.
- Shweta Khanna - An arrogant, insolent and obnoxious woman who always jumped to conclusions before she gets her facts straight; due these traits of hers, she sometimes has a strain relationship with both husband, Prakash and her son, Neil, as she doesn't even try to see things from their point of views. Shweta also dislikes her daughter-in-law, Avni for no clear reason.
- Harleen Khanna - The matriarch of the Khanna family who is a very strict, but also a good-hearted and kind woman. Harleen takes immediate liking to her granddaughter-in-law, Avni, but she severely dislikes her daughter-in-law, Shweta; due to her incompetence, stupidity, arrogant, insolent and obnoxious traits.
- Aman Mehta - Initially, an arrogant, insolent and despicable spoiled brat, but Aman eventually reforms after realising the error of his ways, as well as realising what kind of person that his paternal grandmother, Dayawanti truly is and that she does not truly care about him, when Dayawanti tries to get Aman to kill his sister, Avni, but he turned the tables on her and burns her alive her instead, as he killed Dayawanti not only to get justice for his mother, Ayesha's death, but also to protect Avni, as he knew long as his grandmother was still alive, his sister's life would always be in danger, unfortunately, Aman is sent to prison for the murder of Dayawanti; despite the fact that he was only trying to protect his sister, Avni from their grandmother.
- Dakhal Dayal – A chatterbox yet a good-hearted, kind and selfless man, prior to becoming a police officer; he was once a drug addict, but eventually got clean of his addiction. Dakhal is also a loyal friend to Neil. Dakhal is always referred to as "DD" by his friends and associates; instead by his actual name.
The show initially starred child actor Arsheen Naamdaar as Avni Ayesha, besides Viraf Patel, Barkha Sengupta and Reema Lagoo from September 2016 to March 2017. It then took a fifteen year-leap and focused on Avni Ayesha (Aditi Rathore) and Neil Khanna (Zain Imam). In May 2017, Ragini Shah replaced Reema Lagoo due to the latter's demise. The show ended on 18 May 2018 completing 463 episodes and its slot was taken by Krishna Chali London.
|Track list(s)||Title||Singer(s)||Lyricist||Music composer(s)|
|1||"Naamkarann Title Track"
(Shreya Ghoshal version)
|Shreya Ghoshal||Kausar Munir||Anu Malik|
|2||"Naamkarann Title Track"
(Monali Thakur version)
|Monali Thakur||Kausar Munir||Anu Malik|
|3||"Aaj Jaane Ki Zid"||Arijit Singh||Fayyaz Hashmi||Sohail Rana|
|4||"Aa Leke Chalu Tujhko"||Palak Muchhal, Sneha Shankar||Vijay Vijawatt||Jeet Gannguli|
|5||"Chal Meri Jaan"||Aryan||Aryan||Aryan|
|6||"Chal Meri Jaan"
|7||"Dhal Gaya Chand"||Asho Ghosala||Katil Shuphaie||Aaryan|
|8||"Dhoop Ka Ek Tukda"||Anuradha Paudwal, Kumar Sanu||Vijay Vijawatt||Samidh|
|9||"Ae Dil Hai Mushkil"||Arijit Singh||Pritam|
|10||Tere Dar Par Sanam||Aryan||Ravee|
|11||Tere Dar Par Sanam Female||Saloni||Ravee|
|Country||Network||Local title||Series premiere||Timeslot||Episodes||Ref.|
|Somalia||Asal24 TV||Niyad Jab||17 July 2018||20:00||216|
|Vietnam||TodayTV||Đứa Cháu Vô Thừa Nhận||10 May 2018||21:00||230|||
|Africa||Star Life||My Identity||16 December 2020||20:00||Present|
- "The villain is a victim, whose story hasn't been told: Mahesh Bhatt". Hindustan Times.
- "Naamkarann goes off air: see pics from the last day of shoot". Times of India. 11 May 2018.
- Cite error: The named reference
12-9-16was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "Viraf Patel and Barkha Bisht to star in Mahesh Bhatt's show 'Naamkarann'". Mid-Day. 28 July 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Naamkaraan is the upcoming TV serial at Star Plus". 28 July 2016. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Remembering Reema Lagoo: Shrimaan Shrimati, Tu Tu Main Main and Naamkarann, her memorable roles on TV". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Naamkarann Couple Aditi Rathore And Zain Imam: We Share A Special Chocolate Bond". Mid Day.
- "Naamkarann Couple Aditi Rathore And Zain Imam: We Share A Special Chocolate Bond". Mid Day.
- "Reema Lagoo returns to TV after a 9-year gap with Mahesh Bhatt's Namkaran". bollywoodlife.com. Soumyata Chauhan. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "After Reema Lagoo's death, this actress replaced her in Naamkaran". india.com. Manisha Mandal. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Viraf Patel and Barkha Bisht to star in Mahesh Bhatt's show 'Naamkarann'". Mid Day. 28 July 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Namkaran remake