Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre
The Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre is a tennis venue located within the Olympic Park in Sydney, Australia. The centre was built in 1999 and hosted the tennis events for the 2000 Summer Olympics. The venue hosted the Sydney International tournament from 2000 to 2019.
Ken Rosewell Arena during the 2018 Sydney International
|Former names||NSW Tennis Centre|
|Location||Sydney Olympic Park, Sydney, New South Wales|
|Operator||Sydney Olympic Park Authority|
|Broke ground||November 1998|
|Opened||8 December 1999|
|Construction cost||A$42.9 million|
|2000 Olympic Games (Tennis)|
2000 Paralympic Games (Wheelchair tennis)
Sydney International (ATP/WTA) (2000–19)
ATP Cup (Tennis) (2020–)
Giants Netball (NNL) (2020–)
New South Wales Swifts (NNL) (2020)
In December 2008, the centre court was renamed Ken Rosewall Arena, named in honour of the Sydney-born tennis player and multiple Grand Slam winner Ken Rosewall. The stadium holds 10,500 people. There are also two other show courts in the precinct seating 4,000 and 2,000, as well as ten other match courts, and six practice courts.
- Construction of a canopy roof structure over Ken Rosewall Arena and Show Court 1
- Upgrades to player and media facilities
- Additional lighting, seating and public amenities
- New sprung floor on Ken Rosewall Arena to allow for multi-sport use.
Aside from tennis, the other sport to benefit from the upgrade will be netball, with Super Netball clubs the New South Wales Swifts and Giants Netball to play home matches at Ken Rosewall Arena. The upgrade is scheduled to be completed by late 2019.
- "Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre". Austadiums.com.
- "Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre". BVN Architecture.
The Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre was the tennis venue for the 2000 Olympics Games and is the headquarters of Tennis NSW. The Centre comprises 16 courts which include 10 match courts and six practice courts. The match courts include the centre court stadium and two show courts. The centre court holds 10,300 spectators and offers 70 percent roof coverage. The show courts accommodate 4000 and 2000 spectators respectively.
- "Ken Rosewall Arena to get a roof in 2019". Tennis Australia. 4 January 2019.
- "$50.5 million upgrade announced for Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre". www.sopa.nsw.gov.au. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "'It's a game-changer': New roof a winner for tennis and netball". The Sydney Morning Herald. 4 January 2019.
- "ATP confirms Sydney and Brisbane as hosts for 2019 ATP Cup". ATP Tour. 7 January 2019.
- "ATP Cup: Sydney and Brisbane to host A$22m event". BBC Sport. 7 January 2019.
- 2000 Summer Olympics official report. Volume 1. p. 375.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NSW Tennis Centre.|
|This article about a sports venue in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a tennis venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in New South Wales is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|