NHL 22 is an ice hockey simulation video game developed by EA Vancouver and published by EA Sports. It is the 31st installment in the NHL video game series and was released for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S on October 15, 2021. It is the first entry in the series to use the Frostbite engine, and utilizes the new game engine on all four platforms. The game features Toronto Maple Leafs center Auston Matthews as the cover athlete for the second time in the series, after being the North American cover athlete for NHL 20.
Xbox Series X/S
|Release||October 15, 2021|
|Genre(s)||Sports (ice hockey)|
New to NHL 22 is a new game engine and a graphical overhaul. The NHL series jumps to the Frostbite engine, after using the Ignite engine for the previous 7 years. Additionally, it moves to the next generation consoles PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. NHL 22 also introduces Superstar X-Factors, which are abilities that makes superstar players unique, and differentiates them from other players. This also unlocks specific animations affecting their area of expertise.
NHL 22 will be feature complete on all four platforms, with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions also moving to the Frostbite engine, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S versions won't be losing any features from the last generation counterpart. According to NHL producer Clement Kwong, the NHL team's priority this year was making sure everything will be carried over to the new Frostbite engine, as well as next generation versions so as to not repeat the same mistake with the previous console generation transition that was NHL 15. In moving to the Frostbite Engine, the NHL team is rebuilding all the arenas around the new lighting engine, allowing for enhanced particle and visual effects on the ice and elsewhere, as well as the character models are also being redone.
NHL 22 also introduces new gameplay animations, with new reverse hitting, new pass and shot blocks, new pickups, revamped puck protection, additional goalie saves/pokes, and more.
NHL 22 also introduces the new expansion team Seattle Kraken, as they join the National Hockey League in the 2021–22 NHL season. In franchise mode, you can redo the Seattle Kraken expansion draft or do a 33rd NHL team expansion draft, and as requested by fans for several years, for the first time in the NHL series, in NHL 22 you can now share your rosters and download community made roster files with the new roster sharing feature, which will be coming out in December.
On January 27, 2022, women's national hockey teams were added in NHL 22 for the first time in the series.
In March 2022, publisher EA Sports announced that the Russia and Belarus national teams will be removed from NHL 22 following the former country's invasion of Ukraine. The announcement comes following the International Ice Hockey Federation's announcement that they will expelled both Russia and Belarus from six tournaments by the federation in March to September 2022, along with the International Olympic Committee's announcement on banning both Russian and Belarusian athletes from all international competitions on March 1, 2022.
The NHL 22 soundtrack was revealed on October 6, 2021, featuring artists such as Angels & Airwaves, Grouplove, Jxdn, KennyHoopla, Machine Gun Kelly and Volbeat, and also returning from previous NHL soundtracks: Arkells, Dropkick Murphys, Imagine Dragons, Johnossi, K.Flay, Royal Blood, the Strumbellas, and Twenty One Pilots. NHL 22 has the largest soundtrack in the series to date, featuring 43 songs.
NHL 22 received "mixed or average" reviews on PlayStation 5 and "generally favorable" reviews on Xbox Series X according to review aggregator Metacritic. Kimberley Wallace of Game Informer awarded the game a 7.25, and summed up her review by saying "NHL 22 relies on its superstar talent, and it’s not impressive enough to give the gameplay the new life it so desperately needs."
Notes and references Edit
- Clappy [@TheClapperton] (August 19, 2021). "#NHL22 will utilize the Frostbite engine on all platforms (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S). So you'll get the benefits no matter what console you play the game on" (Tweet). Archived from the original on August 28, 2021. Retrieved August 29, 2021 – via Twitter.
- "Maple Leafs forward Matthews appears on EA NHL 22 cover for second time". NHL.com. Retrieved 2021-08-23.
- Arts, Electronic (2021-08-19). "NHL 22 - This is Breakthrough Hockey - EA SPORTS". Electronic Arts Inc. Retrieved 2021-08-23.
- Clappy [@TheClapperton] (August 19, 2021). "One of the biggest goals with #NHL22 X-Factors was adding true player differentiation. The abilities players will have access to not only affect attributes but unlock specific animations affecting their area of expertise. Adds new elements to each game based on who's on the ice" (Tweet). Archived from the original on August 23, 2021. Retrieved August 29, 2021 – via Twitter.
- NHL 22 Announced For Next-Gen Consoles With a New Engine and Other Enhancements - IGN, 19 August 2021, retrieved 2021-08-23
- Clappy [@TheClapperton] (August 20, 2021). "Want to clear up a misconception that there are no new #NHL22 Gameplay animations. There is now new reverse hitting, new pass and shot blocks, many new pickups, revamped puck protection, additional goalie saves/pokes and more. We'll provide detail on everything gameplay soon" (Tweet). Archived from the original on August 23, 2021. Retrieved August 29, 2021 – via Twitter.
- Seattle Kraken [@SeattleKraken] (August 19, 2021). "#NHL22 is about to get a whole lot better. 😏 🎮 Catch the full trailer & get ready for the #SeaKraken to make their @EASPORTSNHL debut → t.co/2aCodLk2iB t.co/8lHo7srL0V" (Tweet). Archived from the original on August 23, 2021. Retrieved August 29, 2021 – via Twitter.
- NHL 22 ROSTER SHARING | Franchise Mode + Be A Pro Deep Dive, retrieved 2021-10-04
- Owen S. Good (March 2, 2022). "EA Sports removes Russian teams from NHL, FIFA video games". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved March 2, 2022.
- "The Official #NHL22 Soundtrack". Twitter. 2021-10-06.
- "NHL 22 for PlayStation 5 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2021-10-27.
- "NHL 22 for Xbox Series X Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2021-10-27.
- Paprocki, Matt (19 October 2021). "NHL 22 Review". IGN. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- Lavoy, Bill (23 October 2021). "NHL 22 review: Time for a rebuild". Shacknews. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- Banas, Graham (15 October 2021). "NHL 22 Review (PS5)". Push Square. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- Wells, Cory (19 October 2021). "Review: NHL 22". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- Wallace, Kimberley. "NHL 22 Review – Superstar Letdown". Game Informer. Retrieved 2021-11-12.