NBC Sports Radio
NBC Sports Radio is a sports radio network that debuted on September 4, 2012. The network content is produced by NBC Sports Group and distributed by Westwood One, which is the corporate successor to the remains of the original NBC Radio Network that was dissolved in the 1980s. NBC Sports Radio is available through over 300 affiliates throughout the United States as of September 2013, as well as through live streaming on NBCSportsRadio.com, NBCSports.com, WestwoodOneSports.com, and the affiliates' websites. Its launch made NBC the last major broadcast network with a sports radio network to complement its sports division. On January 1, 2019, NBC Sports Radio switched from a 24/7 full-time network feed to a service featuring sports newsfeeds and syndicated offerings.
|Type||Sports radio network|
|Parent||NBC Sports Group|
Senior Vice President, NBC Sports Ventures and International
Executive Vice President, General Manager, Dial Global
|September 4, 2012|
April 8, 2013 (24 hours)
|NBC Sports Radio|
NBC Sports Radio programming began airing 7:00pm-5:00am ET weekdays, but sports updates aired on the hour, every hour week-round. In January 2013, NBC Sports Radio launched weekend programming beginning Saturday at 7:00am and ending Monday at 1:00am. NBC Sports Radio had a full weekly schedule of programming beginning on Monday, April 8, 2013.
Beginning with the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals, NBC Sports Radio relaunched the NHL Radio national broadcasts, which had not been heard nationwide since 2008. The 2016-17 season brought regular season games, the All-Star Game, a playoff game of the week, both conference finals, and the Stanley Cup Finals to the network.
Discontinuation of network programmingEdit
On November 29, 2018, Westwood One announced that NBC Sports Radio will no longer operate as a full-time network and will switch to a stripped-down syndicated service providing 24/7 sportscast newsfeeds at the top and bottom of the hour. On January 1, 2019, the network featured two programs, PFT Live with Mike Florio in mornings and a revival of the fan-based The Daily Line in the afternoons. While not mentioned in the announcement, the live sports programming NBC Sports Radio carried would also continue, and the 2019 NHL Winter Classic aired on NBC Sports Radio unaffected. Hosts Newy Scruggs, Keith Irizarry, Mark Malone, and Dan Schwartzman will no longer be part of the lineup, although their shows continue to be available online. Westwood One cited the increasing competition among sports radio networks (Westwood One was effectively competing with itself since it also distributed CBS Sports Radio) as a factor as well as the network's inability to draw prominent affiliates (unlike CBS Sports Radio, which has a core affiliation with Entercom and Cumulus Media outlets, NBC had no major station group affiliations and largely relied on lower-end independent affiliates).
All times Eastern
- Pro Football Talk Live with Mike Florio (6:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. for the East Coast morning drive, replayed 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. for the West Coast morning drive)
- The Daily Line with Tim Murray and Michael Jenkins (3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
All times Eastern
NBC Sports Radio updates are at the top and bottom of the hour.
- "DIAL GLOBAL and NBC SPORTS GROUP NAME JACK SILVER, PROGRAM DIRECTOR, NBC SPORTS RADIO NETWORK". Dial Global. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "NBC SPORTS RADIO ANNOUNCES AROUND-THE-CLOCK WEEKEND PROGRAMMING AND WEEKEND TALENT LINEUP". Dial Global. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Westwood One Sports - Radio Home of the NFL NHL NCAA Football March Madness Olympics and MastersWestwood One Sports - Radio Home of the NFL NHL NCAA Football March Madness Olympics and Masters". westwoodonesports.com.
- "The NHL returns to Westwood One in 2017 - Westwood One SportsWestwood One Sports". westwoodonesports.com.
- "NBC SPORTS RADIO PRESENTS EXCLUSIVE TRIPLE CROWN COVERAGE - Westwood One". westwoodone.com. 18 February 2015.
- Venta, Lance (November 29, 2018). "NBC Sports Radio To Cease 24/7 Programming". Radio Insight. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "NBC SPORTS RADIO IS ON THE AIR". NBC Sports Group. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "STAN VAN GUNDY JOINS NBC SPORTS NETWORK'S COVERAGE OF NAVY-MARINE CORPS CLASSIC". NBC Sports Group. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "NBC SPORTS RADIO ADDS BOBBY VALENTINE TO LINEUP". NBC Sports Group. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "NBC SPORTS RADIO ADDS DONOVAN MCNABB AS MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR". NBC Sports Group. Retrieved 6 February 2013.