Makran Coastal Highway
The N-10 or National Highway 10 (Urdu: قومی شاہراہ ) is a 653 km national highway in Pakistan which extends along Pakistan's Arabian Sea coast from Karachi in Sindh province to Gwadar in Balochistan province. It passes the towns of Ormara and Pasni.
|قومی شاہر 10|
|Maintained by NHA|
|Length||653 km (406 mi)|
|History||Construction started in 2002 and was completed in 2004.|
|Major cities||Karachi, Ormara, Pasni, Gwadar|
|Roads in Pakistan
Prior to the construction of the Makran Coastal Highway in 2004, the port city of Karachi was linked to the port town of Gwadar via an uncarpeted "jeep" or "dirt" track. The journey between Karachi and Gwadar used to take at least two days and took a heavy toll on the "wear and tear" of vehicles. It was considered preferable to take the safer but longer route via Quetta.
After completion of the Makran Coastal Highway, the average journey time between Karachi and Gwadar has been reduced to only 6 to 7 hours and transportation costs have also been reduced.
The Makran Coastal Highway was planned and built by the Government of Pakistan with the following objectives:
- To develop infrastructure and boost economic activity in the areas along Pakistan's coastline
- To improve the transportation and communications infrastructure in Balochistan province
- To develop the coastal towns of Ormara, Pasni and Gwadar into major port cities
- To link Ormara, Pasni and Gwadar with the rest of Pakistan's national highways network
- To develop the seafood industry along Pakistan's coastline by reducing the time and costs involved in transporting fresh seafood from seafood catchment areas to major cities in Pakistan as well as export processing zones in Karachi and Gwadar
Construction work on the Makran Coastal Highway Project commenced in 2002 and was completed by 14 December 2004, in a period of three years.
Management and maintenanceEdit
The Makran Coastal Highway is managed and maintained by Pakistan's National Highway Authority.
N10 through Hingol National Park
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Makran Coastal Highway.|