for the Jatiya Sangsad
The constituency was created for the first general elections in newly independent Bangladesh, held in 1973.
Ahead of the 2008 general election, the Election Commission redrew constituency boundaries to reflect population changes revealed by the 2001 Bangladesh census. The 2008 redistricting altered the boundaries of the constituency.
Ahead of the 2014 general election, the Election Commission expanded the boundaries of the constituency to include all of the former Phulpur Upazila (which in 2012 had been split into a smaller Phulpur Upazila and the new Tarakanda Upazila). Previously the constituency had excluded one union parishad: Bishka.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Awami League||Hayatur Rahman Khan||172,533||63.8||+24.1|
|BNP||Shah Shahid Sarwar||94,090||34.8||-15.7|
|IAB||Golam Maula Bhuyan||2,485||0.9||N/A|
|KSJL||Md. Anwar Hossain||1,128||0.4||N/A|
|Awami League gain from BNP|
|BNP||Shah Shahid Sarwar||114,048||50.5||+20.3|
|Awami League||Md. Shamsul Haque||89,631||39.7||+4.3|
|IJOF||Zia Uddin Ahammed||21,006||9.3||N/A|
|BNP gain from Awami League|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Awami League||Md. Shamsul Haque||50,497||35.4||-2.8|
|BNP||Md. Ashraf Uddin Sarkar||43,037||30.2||+7.4|
|JP(E)||Shah Shahid Sarwar||42,678||30.0||+9.3|
|IOJ||Md. Tafazzal Hossain Biswas||1,000||0.7||N/A|
|Zaker Party||Md. Saifal Islam||377||0.3||0.0|
|JSD||Md. Nazrul Islam||288||0.2||N/A|
|Gano Forum||A.K.M. Raihan Uddin||202||0.1||N/A|
|Bangladesh Muslim League (Jamir Ali)||Nurul Alam||153||0.1||N/A|
|Awami League hold|
|Awami League||Md. Shamsul Haque||35,432||38.2|
|BNP||Zulmat Ali Khan||21,091||22.8|
|JP(E)||Shah Shahid Sarwar||19,139||20.7|
|JSD||Abdul Mansur Sarker||4,373||4.7|
|Bangladesh Muslim League (Kader)||Ismail Hossain Talukder||2,489||2.7|
|Jatiya Janata Party and Gonotantrik Oikkya Jot||Sheikh Alal Uddin||343||0.4|
|Zaker Party||Md. A. Bari Sarker||266||0.3|
|NAP (Muzaffar)||Abdul Zabbar||187||0.2|
|Awami League gain from BNP|
- "Mymensingh-2". The Daily Star. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "Constituency Maps of Bangladesh" (PDF). Bangladesh Election Commission. 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 August 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Delimitation of Constituencies" (PDF). Bangladesh Election Commission (in Bengali). 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Rahman, Syedur (2010). Historical Dictionary of Bangladesh. Scarecrow Press. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-8108-7453-4.
- Liton, Shakhawat (11 July 2008). "Final list of redrawn JS seats published". The Daily Star.
- "53 constituencies get new boundaries". The Daily Star. 4 July 2013.
- "List of 1st Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 2nd Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 3rd Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 4th Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- Ahmed, Taib (15 December 2013). "AL closer to majority before voting". New Age. Dhaka. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Bangladesh Parliament Election - Detail Results". Amar Desh. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Nomination submission List". Bangladesh Election Commission (in Bengali). Archived from the original on 11 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Parliament Election Result of 1991,1996,2001 Bangladesh Election Information and Statistics". Vote Monitor Networks. Archived from the original on 29 December 2008. Retrieved 11 February 2018.