Myers Motors NmG
The Myers Motors NmG (formerly the Corbin Sparrow) was a single-passenger, three-wheeled, battery electric vehicle designed specifically for commuting and city driving, produced from 1999 into the early 2010s. It was initially produced by Corbin Motors, and subsequently after 2005, by Myers Motors. It is a personal electric vehicle (PEV).
|Myers Motors NmG|
|Manufacturer||Corbin Motors (1999-2003)|
Myers Motors (2004-present)
|Production||1999–2003; 2005-present;|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Battery electric microcar|
|Body style||2-door coupe (Pizza Butt)|
1-door (Jelly Bean)
|Wheelbase||72 in (1,829 mm)|
|Length||96 in (2,438 mm)|
|Width||48 in (1,219 mm)|
|Height||57 in (1,448 mm)|
|Curb weight||1,350 lb (610 kg)|
The Sparrow is powered by a 20 kW (continuous) 156-volt DC or 3-phase AC electric motor and has a range of 32 to 64 km (20 to 40 miles) and a top speed of 112 km/h (70 mph). Fuel efficiency is approximately 130 W·h/km (4.8 mi/(kW·h), which is equivalent to 162 mpg (US) or 194 mpg (UK) (1.45 L/100 km) using the DOE conversion.
Two models were produced: the original "jelly bean" model and then a hatchback model, which was nicknamed "pizza butt" because it was designed for use by Domino's Pizza. Several Sparrows were featured in the feature films Austin Powers in Goldmember and Looper.
In June 2008, the website listed a price of $29,995 without taxes or shipping. In 2009, the NmG began to use lithium batteries which Myers Motors claims doubled its driving range to 60 miles (97 km) between charges.
The Sparrow electrical system in a Corbin Sparrow VIN28 is composed of three isolated sections. "Defanging" is the process of changing the circuit to disconnect the high voltage from the low voltage.
- Line voltage
- 110 / 220 V AC
- Battery charger (on-board charger made by Zivan). It can be replaced by a Manzanitamicro PFC-20 or PFC-30
- Line voltage sensor
- High voltage
- 156 V DC
- A 20 kW (continuous) 156-volt DC traction motor (Advanced DC Motors 8-inch (203 mm) diameter, part #203-06-4004) 
- Motor controller (Zark VIN 28, DCP or KiloVac EVCL controllers)
- Energy is supplied by a battery pack composed of thirteen 12-volt deep-cycle lead-acid Optima batteries.
- Low voltage
- 13.5 V DC
- Other microcars and 3-wheel electric/hybrid automobiles
- Myers Motors website (accessed 6 October 2010)
- Myers Motors. "Myers Motors Buy Your NmG Now". Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- "Commute Cars". Electric-Bikes.com. 2001-06-13. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
US Department of Energy (DOE) (2000-07-12). "Federal Register Vol. 64 No. 113" (PDF). U.S. GPO. Retrieved 2006-09-22. Cite journal requires
- "Buy your NmG Now". Myers Motors. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Enviromotors Wiki | Sparrow / Defanging". Enviromotors.com. 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Enviromotors Wiki | Sparrow / OtherCharger". Enviromotors.com. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Advanced DC Motors". Adcmotors.com. Archived from the original on 2001-03-30. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Enviromotors Wiki | Sparrow / Batteries". Enviromotors.com. 2009-01-11. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "1955 Fuji Cabin". Microcarmuseum.com. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Myers Motors
- The 1st Sparrow Hatched
- Sparrow Photos
- If You Build Personal Transportation Modules, Will They Come?
- Corbin Sparrow at 3-wheelers.com