My Mother Likes Women
My Mother Likes Women (Spanish: A mi Madre le gustan las mujeres) is a 2002 Spanish comedy film directed by Inés París and Daniela Fejerman. The film stars Leonor Watling, Rosa Maria Sardà, María Pujalte, Silvia Abascal, and Eliska Sirova. My Mother Likes Women premiered in Spain on 11 January 2002. The theme song of the same title was written by Andy Chango.
|My Mother Likes Women|
Theatrical release poster
|Original title||A mi madre le gustan las mujeres|
|Music by||Juan Bardem|
|Edited by||Fidel Collados|
|Distributed by||Lauren Films|
Elvira, an attractive but insecure twenty-something, joins her sisters Jimena and Sol to celebrate the birthday of their mother, Sofía. A divorced concert pianist, Sofía announces that she's fallen in love but is interrupted by the doorbell as she describes her new partner. While the three gleefully speculate about their mother's new boyfriend, their joy suddenly gives way to shock when she returns with Eliska, and the sisters realize that their mother is a lesbian.
The young women handle the shock in different ways. Elvira confides in her psychiatrist, while Sol composes a song about her mother and her lesbian relationship for her band. Jimena doesn't act out in any similar manner, but her husband becomes concerned about how his mother-in-law's sexual orientation affects his image at work.
When her daughters find out that Sofía has given the much younger Eliska a significant amount of money, they become suspicious of Eliska and plot to find a way to get their mother to break up with her.
The DVD, with English subtitles, was released in North America (Region 1) by Wolfe Video on May 10, 2005. A video of the theme song scene from the film appears on the Region 2 DVD as an extra feature, with the performance of the song by Andy Chango and Ariel Rot mixed into the footage.
- Silió, Elisa (11 January 2002). "Dos directoras debutan con una insólita comedia de mujeres". El País (in Spanish).
- "A mi madre le gustan las mujeres". Fotogramas (in Spanish).
- Video Releases (May 5, 2005). "A partial schedule of upcoming movies on video and DVD..." Chicago Tribune.
- Salzenstein, Jason (May 10, 2005). "My Mother Likes Women". EDGE Media Network.
- "My Mother Likes Women". Amazon.
- My Mother Likes Women at AllMovie
- A mi madre le gustan las mujeres at BFI
- My Mother Likes Women at Cineuropa
- A mi madre le gustan las mujeres at Gynocine, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- My Mother Likes Women on IMDb
- A mi madre le gustan las mujeres at LUMIERE
- A mi madre le gustan las mujeres at SensaCine
|This article related to a Spanish film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This film article about a 2000s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|