Mustard Plug is a ska punk band from Grand Rapids, Michigan, consisting of Dave Kirchgessner (vocals), Brendon Jenson (trumpet), Jim Hofer (trombone), Nate Cohn (drums), Colin Clive (guitar/vocals), and Rick Johnson (bass).
|Origin||Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States|
|Years active||1991– 2002, 2007-present|
|Labels||Hopeless, No Idea Records|
|Associated acts||Ska-P, Mad Caddies, Bomb the Music Industry!, Rick Johnson Rock and Roll Machine the parka kings|
|Past members||Bleu VanDyke|
Formed in 1991, the band has regularly toured throughout the United States, Europe, Japan, and South America. They have toured with the Warped Tour twice, and participated in the Ska Against Racism Tour. As of 2014[update], the band has released seven studio albums and continues to tour actively.
Explaining the band's goal, Jim Hofer said, "We may have some messages in our music, but essentially we just do this because we love it and we want people to lighten up and have fun."
The band formed in 1991 after Colin and Dave both attended a Special Beat show. The band's original members were Dave Kirchgessner, Mike McKendrick, Colin Clive, and Anthony Vilchez. There was virtually no ska scene in Grand Rapids at the time, so Mustard Plug was able to develop a unique sound and draw a large following.
Brendon Jenson stated in an interview that their band name originated when "a guy in the early stages of the band was making a sandwich and that crusty stuff that forms on the mustard bottle when you put it in the fridge without wiping it off first gave him an interesting idea for a name."
The band celebrated their 20th anniversary in 2011 with a national tour.
In 2012 the band had an idea for a live album called Mustard Plug:Live!, but cancelled in favor of their 2014 album Can't Contain It, the recording of which was funded via Kickstarter. The album features cover art by Jeff Rosenstock of Bomb the Music Industry.
In May 2017 the band performed at Pouzza Fest in Montreal. As of 2019, they will be embarking on a tour of Japan. The band continues to perform around the United States on a regular basis. Their live shows sometimes feature fill-in bassists for Rick Johnson, who is the tour manager and sound tech for several bands, including Streetlight Manifesto, AJJ, La Dispute and Jeff Rosenstock. 
- Skapocalypse Now! (1992, Dashiki Clout)
- Big Daddy Multitude (1993, Asbestos Records)
- Evildoers Beware! (1997, Hopeless Records)
- Pray for Mojo (1999, Hopeless Records)
- Yellow No. 5 (2002, Hopeless Records)
- Masterpieces: 1991-2002 (2005, Hopeless Records)
- In Black and White (2007, Hopeless Records)
- Can't Contain It (2014, No Idea Records)
- You (1997)
- Everything Girl (1999)
- Hit Me! Hit Me! (2007)
- Over the Edge (2007)
- Dave Kirchgessner - Lead Vocals (1991–present)
- Colin Clive - Guitar, Vocals (1991–present)
- Rick Johnson - Bass, Keyboard (2004–present)
- Nathan Cohn - Drums (2005–present)
- Brendon Jenson - Trumpet, Backing vocals (1994–present)
- Jim Hofer - Trombone (1994–present)
- Anthony Vilchez - Bass (1991–1994)
- Craig DeYoung - Bass (1994–2001), Alto Saxophone (1992–1994)
- Matt Van - Bass (2001–2004)
- Mike McKendrick - Drums (1991–1993)
- Nick Varano - Drums (1993–1999)
- Brad Rozier - Drums (1999–2004)
- John Massel - Drums (2004-2005)
- Bob Engelsman - Trombone (1992–1994)
- Bleu VanDyke - Trombone(1995–1998)
- Mark Petz - Tenor Saxophone (1996–1998)
- Kevin Dixon - Tenor Saxophone (1996–1998)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Mustard Plug Wants You To Know Ska is Not Dead - Look-Listen - May 2011 - St. Louis MO
- mustard plug - history Archived 2012-03-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Garageland: Mustard Plug • Music / Video • exclaim.ca Archived 2012-09-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Housewives? (July 6, 2007). "Battle of the Midwestern Housewives: Mustard Plug Interview: Talks about New Album, Breakfast Cereals, and more!". Midwesternhousewives.blogspot.com. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Mustard Plug plays Bikestock Dos in downtown Grand Rapids | MLive.com
- Mustard Plug delivers ska to the Midwest, South
- "Pouzza Fest, 7th Edition - May 19 to 21, 2017". CJLO AM Radio, by Robert Portnoff // May 29 2017
- "Mustard Plug Interview: Talks about the New Album, Breakfast Cereals, and more!", "The Battle Of The Midwestern Housewives", July 6, 2007. Accessed July 7, 2007
- "Interview with Rick Johnson!", "Michigan Ska Blog", December 12, 2008. Accessed September 9, 2009