Musk electric jet
Specific design concepts for a vertical-takeoff-and-landing supersonic electric jet were first made public by Musk in 2014. The concept includes a large percentage of the aircraft by weight being made up of high-capacity batteries and significantly decreasing the amount of aircraft structure devoted to control surfaces, depending to a greater extent on "gimbaling the electric fan" for control of aircraft attitude.
Musk had publicly mentioned the supersonic electric jet idea as early as 2012. Initial public discussion of the design concepts behind the design was in 2014 at the MIT AeroAstro Centennial Symposium. Musk has brainstormed requirements with Sergey Brin and Larry Page.
Musk continued to be publicly open on the idea in 2015 and, in early 2016, told students at a design competition that he had been "thinking about the vertical takeoff and landing electric jet a bit more ... I think I have something that might be close." "I’m quite tempted to do something about it."
During a very brief cameo in the 2010 film Iron Man 2, Musk mentioned that he had "an idea for an electric jet." It is unknown whether Musk had already been working on the design, but he stated in June 2017 that he has no firm plans yet as the energy density of batteries is not enough for an efficient electric airplane.
- Charlton, Jonathan (2014-11-11). "Elon Musk 'Toying' with Designs for Electric Jet". Aviation.com. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Elon Musk says he's planning a 'supersonic, electric hover jetplane'". The Register. 2012-09-03. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Elon Musk Just May Have to Develop an Electric Supersonic Jet". Bloomberg Business. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Eadicicco, Lisa (2015-05-12). "Google has a secret apartment in which Larry Page and Elon Musk meet to discuss crazy ideas about the future". Business Insider. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Thompson, Cadie (2015-10-13). "Elon Musk says he has a design for an electric jet". Tech Insider. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- Morris, David Z. (2016-01-31). "MIT Wins Hyperloop Competition, And Elon Musk Drops In". Fortune. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
I'm quite tempted to do something about it.
- Heisler, Yoni (2016-02-07). "Elon Musk's next great idea? An electric jet that can take off and land vertically". BGR. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- Kim Stockton (2012-04-02), Elon Musk in Iron Man 2, retrieved 2016-09-27
- Elon Musk: Tesla Has ‘No Plans’ For an Electric Plane - Yet