Music of Colorado
Folk and traditional music in Colorado has been an intricate part of the local popular culture in the last century. The Colorado Bluegrass Music Society exists to promote Coloradan bluegrass music, and publishes a magazine called Pow'r Pickin'.
Colorado bands and artistsEdit
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Local bands and musicians as well as those often associated with Colorado include:
- 3 The Hard Way (Hip-Hop)
- Air Dubai (Alternative Hip-Hop)
- All (Punk)
- Allegaeon (Technical Death Metal)
- Anti-Scrunti Faction (Punk)
- The Apples in Stereo (Indie/Pop)
- A Shoreline Dream (Rock)
- The Astronauts (Surf)
- Philip Bailey (R&B/Funk)
- Ginger Baker (Jazz)
- Big Gigantic (Instrumental Electronica)
- Big Head Todd and the Monsters (Rock/Blues)
- Tommy Bolin (1960s-1970s)
- Breathe Carolina (Electronic Rock)
- Antonia Brico (Classical)
- Mark Brooks
- Calm (hip hop)
- Cephalic Carnage (Grindcore/Death Metal)
- Christie Front Drive (Post-hardcore, Indie, Emo)
- Churchill (Acoustic/Bluegrass/Folk Rock)
- Demetrius Ross (Pop/Hip Hop/R&B)
- Judy Collins (Folk)
- The Czars (Rock/Alternative)
- John Denver (Folk/Country) 4 #1 Billboard Hot 100 songs (d. 1997)
- DeVotchKa (Indie/Alternative - Post Rock)
- Dressy Bessy (Indie)
- Drop Dead, Gorgeous (Rock)
- Earth, Wind & Fire (R&B)
- Elephant Revival (Folk)
- Fear Before the March of Flames (Rock)
- Firefall (Rock)
- Five Iron Frenzy (Ska)
- Flobots (Rap-Rock)
- The Fluid (Rock)
- Josephine Foster (Folk)
- The Fray (Adult Contemporary/Soft Rock). #1 Billboard 200 album with The Fray in 2009.
- Frogs Gone Fishin' (Funk)
- The Gamits (Pop/Punk)
- Miriam Gideon (composer)
- Dave Grusin (composer). 10-time Grammy award winner.
- Tom Hamilton, Aerosmith bassist (rock)
- Havok (Metal)
- Hit and Run (Bluegrass)
- Idlewhile (Indie/Americana)
- India.Arie (R&B/Soul). Had a #1 Billboard 200 album in 2006.
- Javon Jackson (Jazz)
- Jag Panzer (Heavy Metal)
- Mike Johnson (guitarist)
- Andy Kirk (Jazz)
- Leftover Salmon (Jam)
- Willie Lewis (Rockabilly)
- The Lumineers (Folk/Alternative). Had a #1 Billboard 200 album, folk rock Cleopatra in 2016.
- Meese (Alternative)
- Ron Miles (Jazz)
- Glenn Miller (Jazz) his "In the Mood" became the best-selling swing instrumental (d. 1944)
- Hazel Miller (Rock/Jazz/Folk)
- The Minders (Indie)
- Mr. J. Medeiros (Hip-Hop)
- Michael Martin Murphey (Pop/Country Western)
- Neighborhood Bully (Pop/Rock)
- The Northern Way (Pop/Rock)
- Neutral Milk Hotel (Indie/Folk/Lo-Fi) Relocated to Denver to record On Avery Island and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.
- OneRepublic (Pop/Rock/Alternative/Folk) Two #2 Hot 100 hits, including "Apologize".
- Opera Colorado (Opera)
- Paper Bird (Americana/Folk)
- Matt Pike
- Playalitical (Rap/Hip-Hop)
- The Photo Atlas (Pop/Rock)
- Roy Porter (Jazz drummer)
- Pretty Lights (Electronic)
- The Procussions (Hip-Hop)
- Paul Quinichette (Jazz)
- Nathaniel Rateliff
- Dean Reed (Rock 'n' Roll)
- Dianne Reeves (Jazz)
- Rivulets (Indie/Singer-Songwriter)
- Roper (Pop/Punk)
- Rose Hill Drive (Rock)
- The Samples (Jam/Rock)
- SHEL (Folk/Pop)
- Single File (Pop)
- Slim Cessna's Auto Club (Alternative/Country/Rock)
- Jill Sobule (Folk)
- The String Cheese Incident (Jam)
- Sugarloaf (Rock)
- Dallas Taylor (drummer)
- Sally Taylor (singer-songwriter)
- Thinking Plague (Avant/Progressive)
- Tickle Me Pink (Pop)
- Time (indie hip hop)
- Vaux (Alternative, 1990s-2000s)
- Laura Veirs (Folk)
- Velvet Acid Christ (Electronic/Industrial, 1990s-2000s)
- The VSS (Post-hardcore/Experimental Rock)
- Mary Watkins (Folk and Jazz pianist)
- Paul Whiteman (Jazz bandleader, composer, violinist)
- Wendy Woo (Singer/Songwriter)
- Wovenhand (Alternative/Country/Rock)
- Vale of Pnath (Technical Death Metal)
- Yonder Mountain String Band (Bluegrass)
- Zephyr (Rock)
List of notable Colorado music venuesEdit
This section needs expansion with: historical Colorado venues. You can help by adding to it. (October 2016)
- Fillmore Auditorium, 1510 Clarkson St.
- Ogden Theatre, 935 E. Colfax Ave.
- Pepsi Center, 1000 Chopper Pl.
- Bluebird Theater, 3317 E. Colfax Ave.
- Paramount Theater, 1621 Glenarm Pl.
- "Colorado Bluegrass Music Society - Colorado Bluegrass Music Society". Coloradobluegrass.org. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Best Hip-Hop Album Denver 2009 - 3 the Hardway, Set in Stone". Westword. 2009-03-25. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Best New Hip-Hop Act Denver 2010 - Air Dubai". Westword. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- Strong, Martin C. (2000). The Great Rock Discography (5th ed.). Edinburgh: Mojo Books. pp. 82–83. ISBN 1-84195-017-3.
- "Laughing Goat (thelaughinggoat) on Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "Boulder Theater". Bouldertheater.com. Retrieved 2017-03-04.
- "Ogden Theatre :: Home". Ogdentheater.net. Retrieved 2014-05-29.