The Musandam Peninsula (Arabic: جَزِيْرَة مُسَنْدَم \ رَأْس مُسَنْدَم, romanized: Jazīrat Musandam / Raʾs Musandam) is a peninsula that forms the northeastern point of the Arabian Peninsula. Located to the south of the Strait of Hormuz between the Persian and Omani Gulfs, it is governed by Oman–as Musandam Governorate–a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council.
The peninsula as seen from space. Al-Khasab to the north (top) shown in green, is contrasted between the more subtle rainbow tones of the surrounding rock in this false-colour image. The term Khasab refers to the fertility of the soil.
|Governorates of Oman and Emirates of the United Arab Emirates||Musandam Governorate (Oman) |
Ras Al Khaimah (UAE)
Climate, geology and geographyEdit
Land features include the Western Hajar Mountains. Since these are the northernmost of the Hajar range, they and the peninsula are referred to as the Ruʾūs al-Jibāl (Arabic: رُؤُوْس ٱلْجِبَال, romanized: Heads of the Mountains). Wadis include that of Bih.
The highest point in the UAE is located at Jebel Jais near Ras Al Khaimah, which measures 1,934 m (6,345 ft) from sea level, but since the peak is located on the Omani side, Jabal Yibir at 1,527 m (0.949 mi) has the highest peak in the UAE.
Fauna and floraEdit
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2018)
- Edmonds, J.-A.; Budd, K. J.; Al Midfa, A. & Gross, C. (2006). "Status of the Arabian Leopard in United Arab Emirates" (PDF). Cat News (Special Issue 1): 33–39.
- Spalton, J. A. & Al-Hikmani, H. M. (2006). "The Leopard in the Arabian Peninsula – Distribution and Subspecies Status" (PDF). Cat News (Special Issue 1): 3–47.
- Diba, B. A. (2011). Is Iran legally permitted to close Strait of Hormuz to countries that impose sanctions against Iran's oil?. Cupertino, California: Payvand Iranian-American Website.
- Lancaster, Fidelity; Lancaster, William (2011). Honour is in Contentment: Life Before Oil in Ras Al-Khaimah (UAE) and Some Neighbouring Regions. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. pp. 3–598. ISBN 978-3-1102-2339-2.
- Allen, Calvin H., Jr. (2016-02-05). "1: Land and People". Oman: the Modernization of the Sultanate. Abingdon, New York: Routledge. pp. 1–8. ISBN 978-1-3172-9164-0.
- "Jebel Jais". Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "Jabal Yibir". Dangerousroads.org. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- Al Serkal, Mariam M. (2019-03-10). "UAE to see cold days ahead, temperatures drop to 2.6°C". Gulf News. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- Al Serkal, Mariam M. (2019-02-28). "UAE to get 5 days of rain and "significant drop in temperature"". Gulf News. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- Simó-Riudalbas, M.; Metallinou, M.; De Pous, P.; Els, J.; Jayasinghe, S.; Péntek-Zakar, E.; Wilms, Thomas; Al-Saadi, Saleh; Carranza, Salvador (2017-08-02), "Cryptic diversity in Ptyodactylus (Reptilia: Gekkonidae) from the northern Hajar Mountains of Oman and the United Arab Emirates uncovered by an integrative taxonomic approach", PLOS ONE, 12 (8): e0180397, Bibcode:2017PLoSO..1280397S, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0180397, PMC 5540286, PMID 28767644, e0180397