Muhammad Muhammad Taib
Tan Sri Muhammad bin Haji Muhammad Taib (also fondly known as Mat Taib and also Mat Tyson) is a Malaysian politician who currently is a member of United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), a major component of Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition. He was the former Menteri Besar of Selangor and the former Rural and Regional Development Minister. Muhammad was also the former UMNO vice-president.
|Yang Berbahagia Tan Sri|
Muhammad bin Haji Muhammad Taib
Muhammad giving speech during a PAS campaign.
|Malaysian Minister of Rural and Regional Development|
18 March 2008 – 9 April 2009
|Preceded by||Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin|
|Succeeded by||Shafie Apdal|
|11th Menteri Besar of Selangor|
14 August 1986 – 14 April 1997
|Preceded by||Ahmad Razali Mohamad Ali|
|Succeeded by||Abu Hassan Omar|
Muhammad bin Muhammad Taib|
29 July 1945
Hulu Selangor, Selangor, British Malaya (now Malaysia)
UMNO – Barisan Nasional (1964–2013, 2017–present)|
PAS – Pakatan Rakyat (2013–2015)
PKR – Pakatan Harapan (2015–2017)
1. Asbi Rohani Asnan |
2. Tengku Puteri Zahariah binti Sultan Salehuddin Abdul Aziz Shah (divorced)
3. Rodzina Hayati Tajul Ariffin
|Alma mater||Universiti Malaya|
Early life and educationEdit
Born in Kampung Sungai Manggis, Kuala Kalumpang, Hulu Selangor, he was of Minangkabau descent from Rao, West Sumatera. He went to and English Primary School in Kuala Kubu Baru. Muhammad is a graduate from Universiti Malaya and was also a former teacher at SMK Kuala Kubu Baru.
Muhammad married first his wife Asbi Rohani Asnan during his early teaching day in Tanjung Malim and they have three daughters and one son. He married the second time Tengku Puteri Zahariah who is the daughter of Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah and the couple has one son but they had divorced. He also married Rodzina Hayati Tajul Ariffin, a divorcee with a step son.
The political veteran joined UMNO in 1964, and quickly rose within its ranks to be appointed as Selangor Umno deputy state liaison committee chief and elected UMNO vice-president. In 1993, Muhammad and two other top party leaders then - Najib Razak and Muhyiddin Yassin - won the vice-presidency after they joined Anwar Ibrahim who won the deputy presidency uncontested; forming Vision Team (Team Wawasan) to face the UMNO internal party election.
Muhammad was former Selangor state assemblyman of Batang Kali constituency for four terms, winning in the general elections of 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1995. He served as Menteri Besar of Selangor from 1986 to 1997. However, he was forced to resign as Selangor Menteri Besar in April 1997 after he was charged in Australia over currency irregularities involving more than $A1.2 million (RM2.9 million).
In 2006, he was appointed as a senator in the Dewan Negara, the upper house of the Parliament of Malaysia. This allowed him to be appointed as a minister by Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi in March 2008. He contested the post of UMNO deputy president in March 2009 but came out second to Muhyiddin Yassin. His stint in the Cabinet ended after a reshuffling by new Prime Minister Najib Razak in April 2009.
On 14 April 2013, Muhammad joined opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), a component party of Pakatan Rakyat (PR) then. He was formally introduced by the party on 22 April 2013, just two days after the 13th General Election nomination day to avoid allegations that he took the step to be nominated in the general election. PAS is the only party that can lead Malaysia towards Islam, Muhammad said. In previous statements Muhammad was a strong critic for the Pakatan Rakyat led state government of Selangor. He stated that Pakatan Rakyat Selangor, under the helm of the Menteri Besar of Selangor Khalid Ibrahim was losing grip of the state. He even stated that he believes that Saiful Bukhari Azlan, the accuser of Anwar Ibrahim sexual escapades was the real victims and no one is helping Saiful Bukhari.
In 1987, Muhammad when he was still the Menteri Besar angered the Sultan of Selangor when it was found that he had secretly married the ruler's daughter Tengku Puteri Zahariah in Sungai Golok, Thailand. The late sultan later accepted his apologies.
In 1997, Muhammad was forced to resign after he was charged in Australia with making false currency declarations after millions of dollars were found in his suitcase as he was leaving the country. However, he was found not guilty, after claiming he could not understand the declaration forms which were in English. Somehow, in a later development, an investigative committee found that the court had erred in its judgment.
The prosecution at Brisbane Federal Court on 19 August 1997 as for his failure to declare bringing over A$5,000. He and his wife stay a few weeks in Brisbane and wishing to build a luxury house on a 4,500 hectare land at Gold Coast, in Queensland. After that he wish to fly to New Zealand. The land at Sovereign Island was registered under his wife name Asbi Rohani Binti Asnan which was bought a year earlier with $3 million. Muhammad Taib was charged with failure to declare his assets.
|1982||Batang Kali, Hulu Selangor||Muhammad Muhammad Taib (UMNO)||6,939||67.90%||Hong Chin Toh (DAP)||2,777||27.17%||10,220||4,162||79.00%|
|1986||N9 Batang Kali, P84 Hulu Selangor||Muhammad Muhammad Taib (UMNO)||None||None||Unopposed||None||None||None||None||None|
|1990||Muhammad Muhammad Taib (UMNO)||8,575||68.70%||Sinniah Periannan (DAP)||3,385||27.12%||12,482||5,190||75.82%|
|1995||N9 Batang Kali, P88 Hulu Selangor||Muhammad Muhammad Taib (UMNO)||None||None||Unopposed||None||None||None||None||None|
Honour of MalaysiaEdit
- Umno polls: Mat Taib qualifies to contest deputy presidency (updated) Archived 12 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Suresh Kashuerin (June 12, 2015). "Mat Taib: DAP should patch up with Hadi". Free Malaysia Today.
- "Biodata". Muhammad Muhammad Taib's Blog. Mat Taib berbicara…. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Muhammad-profil :MUHAMMAD SENASIB DENGAN MIKE TYSON" (PDF). Bernama (in Malay). Library Perdana. 12 April 1997. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "``Selamat tinggal ayahandaku" (in Malay). Utusan Malaysia. 25 November 2001. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Salah seorang isteri bekas MB Selangor hadapi tuntutan hina mahkamah". Harakah Daily (in Malay). Tranung Kite. 28 September 2000. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Sejarah Menteri Besar : MANTAN DATO' MENTERI BESAR SELANGOR" (in Malay). Selangor: Laman Web Rasmi Kerajaan Negeri Selangor. 2008. Archived from the original on 4 June 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2010.
- "Excess baggage". The Economist. 17 April 1997. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Senator post for Mat Taib". The Star. The Star. 15 February 2006. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Muhammad didn't see post coming". The Star. The Star. 19 March 2008. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "New ministers and deputy ministers". The Star. The Star. 19 March 2008. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Muhyiddin beats Muhammad Taib, elected Umno deputy president". BTUWEEKLY. 27 March 2009. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Jacqueline Ann Surin (9 April 2009). "Eight ministers dropped". Bernama. The Nut Graph. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Ex-Umno veep Mat Taib joins PAS". Hafiz Yatim. Malaysiakini. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Only PAS can lead M'sia to Islam, declares Mat Taib". Hazlan Zakaria. Malaysiakini. 22 April 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- ELIZABETH LOOI. "GE13: PAS banking on spent force" Archived 20 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine., The Star, 19 Julai 2008. Retrieved on 25 April 2013.
- "Mat Taib, Kamaruddin Jaffar tinggal PAS, masuk PKR" (in Malay). Malaysiakini. 11 Sep 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Muhd Taib rejoins Umno". The Malaysian Insight. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Mat Taib rejoins Umno". The Star. The Star. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- Nadirah H. Rodzi (18 September 2017). "Selangor politician Muhammad Taib back in Umno fold". The Straits Times. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Muhammad Taib Acquitted Of Currency Charges". Utusan Malaysia. 30 May 1998. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- Limbo Rock Dalam Pemilihan Umno Tarikh : Tuesday, October 07 @ 10:00:00 MYT
- Speech (Part II) - DAP Malacca Anniversary Dinner
- UMNO candidate Mike Tyson was found guilty on appeal, even if acquitted
- Will Muhd Muhd Taib declare Aussie properties?
- "Muhammad Taib To Be Charged With Failure To Declare Assets". Utusan Malaysia. 9 June 1998. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 27 May 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat".