Mozenda provides technology, delivered as either software (SaaS and on-premise options) or as a managed service, that allows people to capture unstructured web data, convert it into a structured format, then “publish and format it in a way that companies can use.”
|Industry||Web Data Extraction|
|Founders||Brett Haskins, (CEO) |
Corey Young, (COO)
Chris Crabtree, (CDO)
|Brett Haskins (CEO)|
Corey Young (COO)
Known by various names, such as web scraping, web data gathering, web data extraction, data extraction and data scraping, the technology “enables users to draw upon web-scraped data for business intelligence and Big Data applications and makes data extracted from web pages usable as CRM, ERP, or other transactional data.”  With Mozenda, users can capture data lists, create useful pair lists, collect data from tables and extract data from common formats.
Scraped data generated by tools such as Mozenda are used for a wide variety of business, sales, marketing, and market research applications. Mozenda customers include “Microsoft, Ancestry.com, Harper Collins, IBM and CTI.”  Through a partnership with the University of Pennsylvania, Mozenda provide its web scraping services to researchers at the Wharton School of Business.
The precursor to Mozenda is a company called Infosquire Technologies, Inc. that was founded in 2003 in Orem, UT to provide managed data extraction services. On April 30, 2007, Infosquire changed its name to Mozenda Inc. Mozenda’s head office is in Provo, UT.
Mozenda has concluded several investment rounds; a $1M seed round in May 2009 and an additional $500K seed round in August 2010. An additional undisclosed investment was announced in March 2011.
Web scraping is the process of automatically mining data or collecting information from the World Wide Web. “Mozenda uses a point-and-click software tool to turn web pages into structured data. Users can train the software through their actions, as well as automate and schedule data collection. The data can be downloaded as a file, or published to other locations for storage and analysis.”
Data can be downloaded as CSV, Excel, JSON, Google Drive or accessed by an API.
Mozenda’s technology is available as software (download and on-premise versions), delivered as a Managed Service, and “supports publishing to FTP, email, RSS, and Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
Data obtained through web scraping products and services like Mozenda are used for a variety of business, sales, marketing, and market research applications, ranging from price comparison and retail merchandising, to sentiment analysis, direct mail lead generation and search engine optimization.
“Because of the nature of the tool, programmers and non-programmers alike can extract data from any website for a variety of purposes. Popular uses of Mozenda include web data mashups, competitive pricing, and analysis of customer sentiment on the web.” Online services, such as Mozenda and Upstream Commerce, promise to “optimize” product pricing through the acquisition of competitors’ prices and product information.
What is Web Scraping? Everything you Wanted to Know and More. LinkedIn. May 11, 2016.
- "Mozenda Adds Support for Microsoft Azure". Destination CRM. July 20, 2016. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Mozenda". PCMag Business Software Index. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Marty, Weintraub (2013). The Complete Social Media Community Manager's Guide: Essential Tools and Tactics for Business Success. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley. ISBN 9781118605455. OCLC 827279569.
- "Web Scraping for Wharton Researchers". The Wharton School, Univ. of Pennsylvania. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Registration. "Mozenda, Inc". Division of Corporations and Commercial Code, State of Utah. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Mozenda Profile". Crunchbase. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Press Release (March 11, 2011). "Thralow Equity Fund Completes Round B of Investment in Mozenda". Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Press Release (July 20, 2016). "Mozenda Adds Azure Cloud Connector to its Popular Web-scraping Software". Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Top 10 SEM Tips From SMX Advanced London 2010". Search Engine Land. May 23, 2010. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Mozenda Profile". EquityNet. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "How New Pricing Technology Raises New Antitrust Issues". Law360. April 13, 2017. Retrieved May 24, 2018.