Movement for Change (Greece)
The Movement for Change (KINAL; Greek: Κίνημα Αλλαγής (ΚΙΝΑΛ), Kinima Allagis) is a centre-left political alliance in Greece, founded in March 2018. It includes the Panhellenic Socialist Movement (PASOK) and Movement of Democratic Socialists (KIDISO), and formerly included The River and Democratic Left (DIMAR).
|Founded||28 November 2017 (launch)|
16–18 March 2018 (foundation)
|Youth wing||Movement of Students (Kinima Mathiton)|
|European affiliation||Party of European Socialists|
|International affiliation||Socialist International|
|European Parliament group||Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats|
The River (2017–2018)
22 / 300
2 / 21
1 / 13
94 / 703
7 / 332
In July 2017, PASOK leader Fofi Gennimata announced the formation of a new unified centre-left party in Greece before the end of the year. In the summer of 2017, Stavros Theodorakis, leader and founder of The River also decided to participate in the creation of the party. After the leadership election, both PASOK–DIMAR and The River planned to continue with separate parliamentary groups until the new party's founding congress, scheduled for spring 2018. On 12 November 2017, the first round of leadership elections was held to select the new party's founding leader. Nine initial leadership candidates included Gennimata, Theodorakis, Athens mayor Giorgos Kaminis, PASOK MEP Nikos Androulakis, EDEM party leader Apostolos Pontas, academic Constantinos Gatsios, former PASOK ministers Yiannis Maniatis and Yiannis Ragousis, and Dimitris Tziotis. The candidates reaching the second-round election were Gennimata, with 44.5% of the vote, and Androulakis, with 25.4%. The run-off on 19 November was won by Gennimata, who garnered 56% of the vote. On 28 November 2017, “Movement for Change” (Kinima Allagis) was announced as the preliminary name of the party. On 2 December 2017, the party's six-member ruling council was announced, being composed of Gennimata, Theodorakis, Androulakis, Kaminis, DIMAR leader Thanasis Theocharopoulos and former PASOK Prime Minister George Papandreou.
The party held its founding congress on 16–18 March in Athens. During the congress, the new logo was unveiled and the party’s charter and policy program was approved by the overwhelming majority of members.
On 2 July 2018, The River left KINAL. On 20 January 2019, DIMAR also left KINAL due to its position of supporting the Prespa agreement. On 1 June 2019 former PASOK leader Evangelos Venizelos left KINAL, accusing Gennimata of turning the Movement into "SYRIZA's tail".
KINAL increased its obtained seats in the 2019 legislative election compared to Democratic Alignment, becoming Greece's third-largest party or coalition and securing 22 seats in the Hellenic Parliament.
22 / 300
2 / 21
- Kostas Tasoulas secures wide MP support as new House president. Kathimerini.
- "ΚΙΝΑΛ: Αποστάσεις από ΣΥΡΙΖΑ και Ν.Δ. με το βλέμμα στα γκάλοπ". Kathimerini.
- "New Center-Left Party to Be Formed by December in Greece". Greece.greekreporter.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Theodorakis outlines road map for new center-left party". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Center-left candidate shoots barbs after televised debate". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Polls Opened in Greece for Leader of New Centre-Left Party". Greece.greekreporter.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 November 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Fofi Gennimata Closes in on Leadership of New Centre-Left Party in Greece". Greece.greekreporter.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Gennimata, Androulakis head for center-left leader poll runoff". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "New Center-Left Coalition Party Elects PASOK Leader Fofi Gennimata". Greece.greekreporter.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Gennimata elected leader of the center-left party to be created". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Name of center-left grouping to be Movement for Change". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Movement of Change: Greek Centre-Left Coalition Unveils Name". Greece.greekreporter.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Center-left reveals members of top decision-making body". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "New center left party wraps up inaugural conference unveils new logo". Ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "Αποχώρηση από το Ποτάμι μετά το διαζύγιο με το ΚΙΝΑΛ". Kathimerini.
- "Συμφωνία των Πρεσπών". CNN Greece.
- "Venizelos quits socialist KINAL | Kathimerini". www.ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 8 July 2019.