Mountainside School District
The Mountainside School District is a community public school district, that serves students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade in the borough of Mountainside, in Union County, New Jersey, United States.
|Mountainside School District|
|1497 Woodacres Drive|
Mountainside, NJ 07092
|Business administrator||Raymond Slamb|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||736 (as of 2017-18)|
|District Factor Group||I|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "I", the second-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Public school students in ninth through twelfth grades attend Governor Livingston High School in Berkeley Heights, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Berkeley Heights Public Schools that is covered by an agreement that runs through the end of 2021-22 school year. As of the 2017-18 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 1,024 students and 90.7 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1.
- Janet Walling, Superintendent
- Raymond Slamb, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
The district's board of education has seven members who set policy and oversee the fiscal and educational operation of the district through its administration. As a Type II school district, the board's trustees are elected directly by voters to serve three-year terms of office on a staggered basis, with two or three seats up for election each year held (since 2012) as part of the November general election.
- District information for Mountainside School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 1, 2019.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 8, 2015.
- Berkeley Heights Public School District 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 7, 2016. "In addition to serving the public school students of Berkeley Heights, high school students from the neighboring Borough of Mountainside are educated at Governor Livingston High School."
- Mustac, Frank. "Contract Signed to Continue Sending Mountainside Students to Governor Livingston High School", TAP into Mountainside, October 12, 2016. Accessed February 5, 2020. "With the Berkeley Heights Board of Education's recent approval of a renegotiated send/receive agreement, new terms are now in place by which the Mountainside School District will be sending its students in grades nine through 12 to Governor Livingston High School.... The new contract runs for five years from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2022, with a renewal option for an additional five years... The business administrator explained that 30 percent of the Mountainside School District annual budget goes to paying the Berkeley Heights district for sending about 300 students who live in Mountainside to Governor Livingston High School."
- School data for Governor Livingston High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 1, 2019.
- Our District, Union County Vocational Technical Schools. Accessed May 20, 2013.
- School Data for the Mountainside School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 1, 2019.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Mountainside School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Beechwood School, Mountainside School District. Accessed February 5, 2020.
- Deerfield School, Mountainside School District. Accessed February 5, 2020.
- Administration, Mountainside School District. Accessed February 5, 2020.
- New Jersey School Directory for Union County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- New Jersey Boards of Education by District Election Types - 2018 School Election, New Jersey Department of Education, updated February 16, 2018. Accessed January 26, 2020.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report of the Mountainside School District, New Jersey Department of Education, for year ending June 30, 2018. Accessed February 5, 2020. "The Borough of Mountainside School District is a Type II district located in the County of Union, State of New Jersey. As a Type II district, the School District functions independently through a Board of Education. The board is comprised of seven members elected to three-year terms. The purpose of the district is to educate students in grades Pre-K-12. High school students (grades 9-12) are sent to Governor Livingston High School, located in adjacent Berkeley Heights Township, pursuant to a contractual agreement by and between the Berkeley Heights School District and the Mountainside School District."
- Board of Education, Mountainside School District. Accessed February 5, 2020.