Mountain Corps Norway
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)
|Mountain Corps Norway|
|Generalkommando Gebirgskorps Norwegen|
|Active||1 July 1940 – 10 November 1942|
|Disbanded||10 November 1942|
The corps was formed in July 1940 and was later transferred to Northern Norway as part of AOK Norwegen. Its first action was taking part in Operation Renntier, the occupation of Finnish Petsamo. In June 1941 the corps attacked from Petsamo to Murmansk in an operation codenamed Platinfuchs. The attack failed and the corps never reached its goal.
In April and May 1942 the Corps faced one of its toughest challenges. During a period of three weeks, the 14th Soviet Army attacked, trying to defeat the Corps. But there was another enemy - on May 4, 1942, a devastating, 90-hour-long polar storm took its toll on the soldiers.
In November 1942 the corps was renamed the XIX. Gebirgs-Armeekorps or XIX Mountain Corps.
In 1944 the corps finally had to retreat back to Norway, where it surrendered in May 1945. From November 1944 onwards the corps was also sometimes known as Armeeabteilung Narvik.
Area of operationsEdit
|1 July 1940 - 19 December 1940||Norway||Gruppe XXI||Operation Weserübung|
|19 December 1940 - 14 January 1942||Finland||AOK Norwegen||Operation Platinfuchs|
|14 January 1942 - 22 June 1942||Finland||AOK Lappland||-|
|22 June 1942 - 24 April 1945||Finland, Norway||GebAOK 20||Operation Nordlicht|
Strength based on supply documentsEdit
On April 30, 1942, the supply numbers for the Mountain Corps Norway showed the following numbers: 73,978 men and 8,913 horses 
Of the men:
- 48,576 were Heer (Army)
- 8,744 were Luftwaffe (Air Force)
- 6,942 were Kriegsmarine (Navy)
- 2,380 were Reichsarbeitsdienst (labor service)
- 975 were Organisation Todt
- Plus some Finns (border security, road maintenance), Norwegian and Dutch workers, Nationalsozialistisch Kraftfahrkorps (Speer) and 2,335 prisoners of war.
- Tessin, Georg (1980). Die Landstreitkräfte: Namensverbände / Die Luftstreitkräfte (Fliegende Verbände) / Flakeinsatz im Reich 1943–1945 [Ground forces: Named units and formations / Air forces (Flying units and formations) / Anti–aircraft service in the Reich 1943–1945]. Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen–SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939–1945 (in German). 14. Osnabrück: Biblio. ISBN 3-7648-1111-0.