Mount Pleasant, New York
Mount Pleasant is a town in Westchester County, New York, in the New York metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 43,724. The villages of Valhalla, Hawthorne, Thornwood, Pleasantville, Sleepy Hollow, and a small portion of Briarcliff Manor lie within the town,[a] as well as a number of hamlets.
|Mount Pleasant, New York|
Location of Mount Pleasant, New York
|• Town Supervisor||Carl Fulgenzi (R)|
|• Total||32.7 sq mi (84.7 km2)|
|• Land||27.7 sq mi (71.7 km2)|
|• Water||5.0 sq mi (12.9 km2)|
|Elevation||249 ft (76 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (520/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979244|
Mount Pleasant is located about 27 miles north of Manhattan. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 32.7 square miles (85 km2), of which 27.7 square miles (72 km2) is land and 5.0 square miles (13 km2), or 15.26%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 43,221 people, 13,737 households, and 10,522 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,560.5 people per square mile (602.4/km²). There were 13,985 housing units at an average density of 504.9 per square mile (194.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 84.25% Caucasian, 5.07% Black, 0.24% Native American, 3.26% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 5.02% from other races, and 2.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.01% of the population.
There were 13,737 households out of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.0% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 18.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.89 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 103.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $81,072, and the median income for a family was $96,403 (these figures had risen to $103,657 and $129,077 respectively as of a 2007 estimate). Males had a median income of $60,761 versus $41,023 for females. The per capita income for the town was $35,468. About 2.6% of families and 4.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 3.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Briarcliff Manor – the eastern portion of this village is located in the town
- Eastview – a hamlet centrally located in the town
- Hawthorne – a hamlet located in the eastern portion of the town
- Pleasantville – a village located in the northeastern section of the town
- Pocantico Hills – a hamlet centrally located in the town, northeast of Sleepy Hollow and southwest of Pleasantville
- Scarborough – a hamlet in the northern part of the town, divided between Briarcliff Manor and Ossining
- Sleepy Hollow (formerly North Tarrytown) – a village located in the southwestern section of the town
- Thornwood – a hamlet located just south of Pleasantville
- Usonia Homes – a planned community east of Pleasantville which might or might not rise to the level of a hamlet
- Valhalla – a hamlet in the southeastern portion of the town. The hamlet is the location of the town hall.
Biotechnology research centerEdit
In April 2017, Westchester County officials unveiled plans for a 3 million square-foot biotechnology hub to be built with US$1.2 billion in private investment on vacant land adjacent to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla. The bioscience center, a public-private partnership, is anticipated to create 12,000 new jobs and include over 2.25 million square feet of biotechnology research space.
- The other portion of Briarcliff Manor lies within the neighboring town of Ossining.
- Rentz, Neal (11 November 2011). "Defeated Candidates to Stay Active in Mt. Pleasant". The Examiner News. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
fellow GOP-Conservative Party town board incumbents Carl Fulgenzi and Mark Rubeo were overwhelmingly reelected on Tuesday.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Mount Pleasant town, Westchester County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 15, 2011.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "$1.2B Westchester Biotech Center Deal Will Create 12K Jobs, Officials Say". White Plains Daily Voice. April 3, 2017. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- Richard Liebson (April 3, 2017). "Biotech research: Massive Valhalla center forges ahead". LoHud the Journal News - part of the USA TODAY network. Retrieved April 3, 2017.