Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad (MNNIT or NIT Allahabad), formerly Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College (MNREC), is a public higher education institute located in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one of the National Institutes of Technology, and like the rest of them, classified as an Institute of National Importance.The college has the distinction of being first in the country to start an undergraduate programme in Computer Science & Engineering in 1976-77.
Motto in English
|Success is born out of action.|
|Director||Dr. Rajeev Tripathi|
|Location||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban, 222 acres (0.9 km2)|
Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College was established in 1961. The foundation stone was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, and the institute was named after his father, lawyer and freedom fighter, Motilal Nehru. The founding principal of the college was Mr. Gopal Kishore Agrawal.
The main building of the college was inaugurated by Prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on 18 April 1965. Effective from 26 June 2002, the college became a Deemed University and renamed as Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology.
From its beginnings the institute offered bachelor's degree Programmes in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. The institute was the first in the country to offer an undergraduate program in Computer Science and Engineering which was started in 1976. In 1982-83 undergraduate programs in Electronics Engineering, and Production and Industrial Engineering were started.
Post Graduate programs were introduced in 1970-71 with master's degree courses in all engineering departments. The institute now offers M.Tech. degree programs MCA & M.Sc Mathematics and Scientific Computing course, and registers candidates for Ph. D. degree.The institute has been recognized by the Government of India as a center for the quality improvement program in Civil and Mechanical Engineering. The institute has started a two year/four semesters postgraduate Degree in Management Studies from 1996. The institute has added undergraduate programs in Chemical Engineering and BioTechnology in 2006.
The college has been recognized by AICTE as a center for the Quality Improvement Programme. In 1972, the college established an industrial estate with 69 sheds with the objective of encouraging entrepreneurs and creating additional revenue.
The college is a member of Indo-UK REC project in the area of design. Under this scheme, a Design Center has been established at a cost of about Rs. six Crore, which offers training and consultancy. It was given the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) on 15 August 2007.
In 2010, the institute celebrated its Golden Jubilee year of its establishment.
|Engineering – India|
MNNIT was ranked 41 among engineering colleges by the National Institutional Ranking Framework in 2017. Careers360 has given it the second best rating, "AAAA+", among engineering colleges in 2017.
MNNIT offers a 4-year undergraduate course in various engineering disciplines. Indian students are admitted though Joint Entrance Examination (Main), while foreign student are admitted through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA).
MNNIT offers 19 post-graduate programs of two-year duration leading to M.Tech. degrees.The Computer Science department offers a Masters in Computer Applications (MCA). It has a Masters course in Mathematics and Scientific Computing and a B-school known as the School of Management Studies. Master of Social Work (MSW) is also running in the institute from 2009.
The departments in the institute are:
- Applied Mechanics
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering: Also known as CSED (Hindi Translated: 'Sanganak Vigyan aivam Abhiyantriki Vibhaag'), this department hosts the classes for almost all students associated with the IT sector. Be it CSE, IT or MCA. Numerous important subjects such as C/C++ (to name a few) are taught here with a full-fledged facility.
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Industrial & Production Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Product Design & Development
- Humanities and Social Science
- School of Management Studies
- Sanjiv Chaturvedi - IFS officer who has exposed many corruption cases in Haryana and AIIMS; received the Presidential reference a record four times.
- B. N. Singh - Indian engineering scientist, Chairperson of ICTACEM, Professor & Dean HR(Human Resource), IIT Kharagpur
- Raj Senani - former Director of Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT)
- Culrav, an annual cultural festival showcasing the culture of India through competitions.
- TEDx MNNIT, an annual TEDx event started in 2017. It is a local gathering where live TED-like talks and videos previously recorded at TED conferences are shared with the community.
- Renaissance, an annual entrepreneurship summit started in 2015
- MNNIT Official Website. About the Institute.
- "Summary of proceedings of the Review Workshop - list of premier institutes in India". CDAC website. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "Top Engineering Colleges in India 2017". Careers360. 2017.
- "MNNIT's 'Culrav' begins on poetic note - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- "TEDxMNNIT | TED.com". TED. TED. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- TEDx MNNIT, Web Team. "TEDxMNNIT | April 2, 2017 | MNNIT Allahabad". TEDx MNNIT. Web Team TEDx MNNIT. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "ImpactQA Founder speaks about Modi’s Start-up program". LATEST SOFTWARE TESTING NEWS. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- Allahabad, Team Renaissance NIT. "Renaissance '17 | An Entrepreneurship Summit | Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad". renaissance.mnnit.ac.in. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad.|