Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad (MNNIT or NIT Allahabad), formerly Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College (MNREC), is a public higher education institute located in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one among the NIT's in the country, and like the rest of them, classified as an Institute of National Importance.The college has the distinction of the being first in the country to start an undergraduate programme in Computer Science & Engineering, in 1976-77.
Motto in English
|Success is born out of action.|
|Director||Dr. Rajeev Tripathi|
|Location||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban, 222 acres (0.9 km2)|
Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College was established in 1961. The foundation stone was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, and the institute was named after his father, lawyer and freedom fighter, Motilal Nehru. The founding principal of the college was Gopal Kishore Agrawal.
The main building of the college was inaugurated by Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on 18 April 1965. Effective from 26 June 2002, the college became a deemed university and was renamed as Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology.
From its beginnings the institute offered bachelor's degree programmes in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. The institute was the first in the country to offer an undergraduate program in Computer Science and Engineering, which was started in 1976. In 1982-83 undergraduate programs in Electronics Engineering, and Production and Industrial Engineering were started.
Postgraduate programs were introduced in 1970-71 with master's degree courses in all engineering departments. The institute now offers M.Tech. degree programs MCA and M.Sc Mathematics and Scientific Computing course, and registers candidates for Ph. D. degrees. The institute has been recognized by the Government of India as a center for the quality improvement program in Civil and Mechanical Engineering. The institute started a two year/four semesters postgraduate degree in Management Studies in 1996. The institute added undergraduate programs in Chemical Engineering and BioTechnology in 2006.
The college has been recognized by AICTE as a center for the Quality Improvement Programme. In 1972, the college established an industrial estate with 69 sheds with the objective of encouraging entrepreneurs and creating additional revenue.
The college is a member of the Indo-UK REC project in the area of design. Under this scheme, a Design Center was established at a cost of about Rs. six crore, which offers training and consultancy. It was given the status of a Institute of National Importance (INI) on 15 August 2007.
In 2010, the institute celebrated its Golden Jubilee year.
|Engineering – India|
MNNIT offers a four-year undergraduate course in various engineering disciplines. Indian students are admitted though Joint Entrance Exam (JEE Mains), while foreign students are admitted through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA).
MNNIT offers 19 post-graduate programs of two-year duration leading to M.Tech. degrees.The Computer Science department offers a master's in Computer Applications (MCA). It has a master's course in Mathematics and Scientific Computing and a B-school known as the School of Management Studies. Master of Social Work (MSW) is also running in the institute since 2009.
The departments in the institute are:
- Applied Mechanics
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering: Also known as CSED (Hindi: 'Sanganak Vigyan aivam Abhiyantriki Vibhaag'), this department hosts the classes for almost all students associated with the IT sector, whether CSE, IT or MCA. Numerous subjects such as C/C++ are taught here with a full-fledged facility.
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Product Design & Development
- Humanities and Social Science
- School of Management Studies
- Sanjiv Chaturvedi, IFS officer who has exposed many corruption cases in Haryana and AIIMS; received the Presidential reference a record four times.
- Deep Joshi, social worker and NGO activist, recipient of the Magsaysay award in 2009
- Raj Senani, former Director of Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT)
- Bhrigu Nath Singh, engineering scientist, Chairperson of ICTACEM, Professor and Dean of Human Resources, IIT Kharagpur
- Culrav, an annual cultural festival
- MNNIT Official Website. About the Institute.
- "Summary of proceedings of the Review Workshop - list of premier institutes in India". CDAC website. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "Joshi, Deep". rmaward.asia. The Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Raj Senani | NSIT". Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Bhrigu Nath Singh". Wikipedia. 2017-08-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad.|