|Final issue||March–April 2011|
|Based in||Santa Fe, New Mexico|
Mothering was founded in 1976, and in 1980, Peggy O'Mara became editor and publisher. The November–December 2010 issue was the last printed issue of the Mothering magazine. On February 15, 2011, Mothering magazine announced that publication of the magazine would end completely after the March–April 2011 issue, and that Mothering would subsequently become a Web-only company. Paid subscribers initially reacted to this unexpected announcement with anger, sadness, and demands for refunds.
The magazine covers alternative childbirth options, and advocates breastfeeding, alternative education, homeschooling, co-sleeping and open discussion about the risks and benefits of vaccination. Journalist Emily Bazelon, who writes about women, family, and legal issues, has described the magazine is "my own barometer of granola parenting gone too far".
In 2006, Mothering sponsored a contest that solicited artwork to create an international symbol for breastfeeding. The winning design, chosen from more than 500 entries, was announced in November 2006.
In 2001, Mothering featured a cover story about AIDS denialist and HIV+ person, Christine Maggiore, who was pregnant with her daughter at the time and refused to take any anti-HIV drugs to protect her unborn daughter from becoming infected with HIV. Maggiore's daughter caught HIV from her mother and died at the age of 3 from AIDS-related complications; Maggiore herself died six years later.
Mothering has published books through a division of Simon & Schuster:
The magazine's web forum, MotheringDotCommunity or "MDC", has 160,000 registered members as of February 2011.
- McDermott, Nancy (2012-05-21). "Time magazine did not invent the mommy wars". Spiked Online. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- O'Mara, Peggy (February 15, 2011). "How We Became a Web Company". Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- "Parenting Magazines". Book Market. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Carlson, Prescott (2011-02-16). "'Mothering' magazine goes online only, subscribers revolt". Minor Topics. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Mothering Vaccination Forum Guidelines". Mothering Magazine. 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Bazelon, Emily (2007-05-20). "Montessori and Me". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- Mothering's Breastfeeding Symbol Contest Has a Winner.
- Mothering Magazine announces winner of International Breastfeeding Icon Design Contest. November 13, 2006.
- Filipovic, Jill (2013-11-01). "xoJane isn't doing women any favors with its 'birth like chimpanzees' story". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-03-01.