Mother Teresa Awards
The Mother Teresa Awards, officially called the Mother Teresa Memorial Awards for Social Justice, are international and national awards presented annually to honour individuals and organizations that promote peace, equality and social justice, and aim to encourage the cause of justice and peaceful coexistence, while providing a impetus for society to imbibe these values. The awards are given in honour of Mother Teresa.
History and structureEdit
Mother Teresa Awards have been given since 2004 annually or biannually. They are an initiative of Harmony Foundation, an organization created by Abraham Mathai in Mumbai. It is the only award in the name of Mother Teresa recognized by the Missionaries of Charity. Another award by this name, awarded for slightly different purposes, was approved by Mother Nirmala for use of the St. Bernadette Institute for Sacred Art.
The awards are reviewed by a board of patrons that comprises Abraham Mathai, Mahesh Bhatt, a human rights activist, P. C. Thomas, Tushar Gandhi, a great-grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, Gul Kripalani, a consul-general from Iceland, and Rizwan Merchant, an advocate in the Indian Supreme Court.
- "Welcome to Mother Teresa Awards". Mother Teresa Awards. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Mother Teresa global awards for Anuradha Koirala, Amte". Business Standard. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "About the Mother Teresa Awards". Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Board of Patrons - Mother Teresa Memorial Awards". Mother Teresa Memorial Awards. Retrieved 2018-12-31.
- "Mother Teresa Awards 2005". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Mother Teresa Awards 2006". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Mother Teresa Awards 2008". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Mother Teresa Awards 2010". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Carvalho, Nirmala (29 November 2012). "Mother Teresa Award given to two women targeted by the Taliban". Asianews.it. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Harmony Foundation to host Mother Teresa awards on Nov 9". dna. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. 8 November 2014. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Mother Teresa Awards given to promoters of social justice". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice held on Sunday". dna. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Pakistan's Bilquis Bano, Caretaker of Speech and Hearing Impaired Geeta and Gladys Staines Honoured with the Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice 2015". Business Wire India. 23 November 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Mother Teresa Memorial Awards 2016 - Mother Teresa Memorial Awards". Mother Teresa Memorial Awards. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Mother Teresa Memorial Awards 2017 - Mother Teresa Memorial Awards". Mother Teresa Memorial Awards. Retrieved 2018-12-31.